Hi I'm looking for some general advice on enchanting.  How do you choose what item to enchant?  Some items I have just seen a lot on the forum like Whispers of Yenwood.

Ok I will give an example.  My monk (level 10) is wearing Wayfarer's Hide https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Wayfarer%27s_Hide It comes with superb quality (+6 DR).  Also gives a bonus against some disabler attacks and 1 Nature's Vigor per rest.  So quite good at my level but not obviously OP.  I'm thinking of enchanting with an Attribute bonus.  We have lots of gold but only 1 diamond.  So if I make a +2 Attribute that uses that diamond until I find another.  Or I could give a +1 attribute bonus and we have tons of materials for that (on the order of about 10 for the scarcist resource).  So with that in mind I plan to enchant my armor to +1 attribute for now and later I can enchant over that if I wish when we have found lots of diamonds.

So that is just an example.  But the question is just some 'rules of thumb' people have to decide what to enchant.

Edit: bonus question.  My armor has different efficiencies.  Like the Wayfarer Hide (above) has -50% efficiency corrode and +25% efficiency freeze.  Would it be wise to proof it against my weakness (corrode) or wise to proof against strength (freeze)?

Edited by claudius

Gems can be bought from Curnd in Ondra's Gift, he appears at night. So you can buy diamonds, sapphires and whatever else you need to apply the +2 attribute bonuses. If you need other crafting components, try Cartugo (also in Ondra's Gift) for creature parts and Lora/Coren in Copperlane for plant parts.

In terms of armour efficiency, in absolute terms it is better to proof against the strength of the armour since you get more points of DR out of it. So in the example of +25% efficiency, you get 1.25 points of DR for each point of proofing. If you proof against weaknesses, that gives you better "all-round" DR but you are getting less bang for your buck (so -50% efficiency would mean you are only getting 0.5 points of DR for each point of proofing).

• Like 1

Thanks.  Any advice on how to identify an item that is worth upgrading (versus not using or selling)?  I figure you have to look at each of your party members and what they bring to the group.

I suppose you look for items with properties that you can't enchant and then add your basic enchants available as according to their capacity of enchantment points available.

Edited by claudius