What exactly is the MAXIMUM theoretical engagement? Assuming you use the Signet Ring and the Club that scale with Engagement, how far could you push them in a big enough fight? Do the actual size of the character models add a limit at some point rather than a mechanical one? Are there any other items that scale with engagement that I'm missing?

I'm just looking to theorycraft a tanky character that has next to no damage, just a bunch of defense... Until it sits in the middle of a group of enemies and starts actually doing things.

Signet Ring doesn't care for your engagement.

It works the opposite way: how many enemies engage YOU. :)

The maximum is the number of enemies that can surround you. You can have like 8 engagement slots (there's no hard limit). But 8 doesn't do anything more for you than 6 slots - because very few enemies can surround you with more than 6 individuals.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I think building around 5 engagement slots is realistic. That way you can use Cleaving Stance/Mob Stance instead of Defender and still have plenty engagement slots. Seldomly you will be able to reach 5 enemies in melee.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods