Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

All God Challenges Theorycrafting Thread

Magrans Fires PotD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Zenzen

Zenzen

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hi Folks!  Happy Holidays!

I recently completed my fourth run of Deadfire, and I want to attempt to complete every god challenge at once to spice up the difficulty.  I was hoping players more experienced than I could chime in and provide suggestions in this thread on strategies to make this challenge work.

NOTE:  A 12th challenge will be released at some point.  I will likely update this thread whenever it gets announced.

Magran's Fires, for reference:

Spoiler

Obviously, this is going to be monumentally difficult.  This post is also going to have a monumental amount of information in it.  After thinking about the challenges over the past week, I’ve broken up my thoughts into three big questions I need help with in order to succeed.  1) What can I do to minimize the effects of the challenges? 2) How can I maximize quest xp and minimize battle difficulty and travel time? and 3) What kind of party handles these challenges the best?  Are there essential items that we need along the way?

Countering the Challenges:

Spoiler

Quest Routing
This section is entirely untested for now, but we want to get as much XP as possible while minimizing travel time incurred by Eothas’ challenge.  I borrow heavily from Dorftek’s guide on getting early XP, which you can read here: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103025-guide-grow-strong-before-fighting-anything/.   Here’s my plan so far:

Spoiler

Party Composition

The good news is that we get to play with a full party, and I'm not so masochistic as to attempt this on Solo or Ironman Mode.  The bad news is that, well, combat is HARD.  Broadly speaking, these are things that I want my party to have, in rough order of importance:

Spoiler

The Party Thus Far
Spoiler

That’s where I’m at right now.  Here are my questions: 1) Anybody have tricks or tips on handling specific God Challenges?  Am I underestimating how annoying Abydon and Skaen are?  Has anyone completed Eothas’ challenge yet?  2) Could I improve my route through the game to get more XP?  What faction should I side with to make the challenge easier?  3) Give me your favorite character ideas.  What builds on the forums handle Magran’s challenge well?   What AI settings have you used that are effective?

Looking forward to your ideas!  :dancing: 

guildwriter

guildwriter

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • Make a dialogue/stealth focused character.
  • Sneak through content, talk to whatever you have to resolve as all critical paths can be resolved through conversation only.
  • Make sure to release the water dragon completely.
  • Get to Ukaizo on your own, just have a ship/crew upgraded enough.
  • Let the water dragon fight the Guardian for you.
  • Sneak past the last fight.
  • Congrats, you beat the game with all challenges and TCS.

• Frog Man likes this

Marigoldran

Marigoldran

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 384 posts

If you aren't going to sneak through everything and actually fight my advice is LOTS AND LOTS OF HERALDS.  

Make every single character a tanky herald in heavy plate armor and large shield (a build which has infinite regen and can solo the game).  In combat, they spam summons and have the summons (and the use of brand enemy, which never disappears until the target dies) slowly wear the enemies down.    One super tanky herald runs into the room.  Initiates combat.  And all of the other heralds stand back and sends in their summons (thereby protecting Vela) and that's what you do for every fight.  

Edited by Marigoldran, 24 December 2018 - 05:42 PM.

• Frog Man likes this

Zenzen

Zenzen

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Is it possible to use dialogue to get through the final fight at Ukaizo?  I know you can handle the Guardian, but I don't remember being able to skip the battle against the opposing faction leader.

msyoung

msyoung

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 126 posts

The faction leader fight has always been an easy fight for me in Ukaizo, but this thread does lead me to a question. The first thing my Herald does in a fight is to call up three Wurms and he does this automatically. So if you have five Heralds, does that mean 15 Wurms in the fight? That could be somewhat overwhelming especially if all your Heralds have the Ancient Memory chant. 

Yosharian

Yosharian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1181 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

• Sneak through content, talk to whatever you have to resolve as all critical paths can be resolved through conversation only.

This seems like by far the most interesting method, if it's actually possible.

Harpagornis

Harpagornis

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 528 posts

You have forgotten about the 12th challenge: Beat ALL encounters including the DLC´s! :devil:

Zenzen

Zenzen

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If you aren't going to sneak through everything and actually fight my advice is LOTS AND LOTS OF HERALDS.  

Make every single character a tanky herald in heavy plate armor and large shield (a build which has infinite regen and can solo the game).  In combat, they spam summons and have the summons (and the use of brand enemy, which never disappears until the target dies) slowly wear the enemies down.    One super tanky herald runs into the room.  Initiates combat.  And all of the other heralds stand back and sends in their summons (thereby protecting Vela) and that's what you do for every fight.  

This seems like a reasonable (although boring) plan.  I'm pretty sure you can't stack multiple instances of the same chant or paladin aura though, so would it make more sense to do like 3 Heralds and 2 Ciphers?  This way, you get all 3 enhanced auras, still summons on a bunch of dudes, and some damage dealers with infinite resources to close fights out.

• whimper likes this

Harpagornis

Harpagornis

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 528 posts

Are there some news what the last god challenge will be? Maybe Obsidian should let the Community vote on this one...

Will the "Ultimate" achievement include beating all Mega-Bosses? If so i can already hear them calling about "Chanters".

Has anyone played the game - with party or solo - using all god challenges? Any feedback on this on is welcome!!

As i still havent finished the game (too much modding) i fear a little bit that time will be running out cause of Eothas.

Or is there more than enough time doing all DLC´s and world exploring?

The most disliked is still Magrans no-pause madness cause i never ever use the AI. If i wanna have some good AI fighting i prefer watching chess games... :biggrin:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Magrans Fires, PotD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users