First and Only Play-Through: Advice

Hey everyone, 

First-time poster. 

Looking for advice. I started RPGing in the early 80s so this is my type of game. BGII is my favourite video game ever. So...yeah, been looking forward to this for a while, and to carrying PoE1 thru PoE2 (which I hope to do in the new year). 

But I'm also busy with work and family and typically only get a single playthrough of games. The usual advice of "try it one way and then another way once you've beaten it once" doesn't cut it for me. I usually get one shot at a game before I move on. If I beat it, it's because I pushed through on my first playthrough. If I don't...it's because I screwed up and don't have time to do it all over again. So I'm trying to maximize my options. (Note: I'm not trying to minmax. I'm not a powergamer. I *am* a completionist, but that's different.)

So...hoping you can help me out with some or all of these things. :)

1. Main PC: Combat efficiency is less important to me than "options" -- dialogue, alternative resolutions, clever manipulations, persuasions, etc. This means my mains tend to be on the squishy side, but able to convince, argue, seduce, unlock, spot things, etc. Based on this, is there a class/race combo that might work well? I find the concept of the Chanter appealing from an RP perspective but that's probably because I'm a fan of Patrick Rothfuss. :D
  2. Cipher, Cipher, Cipher: Seems like this class is by far the most popular in terms of discussion/builds. Am I going to be missing out by not making one? I do like the sound of it in general.
  3. Whither Rogues: Other than caster types, I most often play Rogue types. But this class seems pretty unpopular in builds or party composition discussions. Any reasons? 
  4. Pre-Built Companions or Custom Adventurers: What's the consensus on bringing the pre-built story companions? Are they worth their scripts and backgrounds? Any to avoid or better to choose an Adventurer? 
  5. Carryover to PoE2: Taking all of the above into consideration -- how does importing from PoE1 into PoE2 work? Any good synergies between the games that I should consider? (Like, if there are no good Chanter story companions in PoE2, would having a PC as one be good, etc.) 

OK that's probably enough for now. Thanks so much for your help, community!

Edited by ScottishViking

Hey everyone, 

First-time poster. 

Looking for advice. I started RPGing in the early 80s so this is my type of game. BGII is my favourite video game ever. So...yeah, been looking forward to this for a while, and to carrying PoE1 thru PoE2 (which I hope to do in the new year). 

But I'm also busy with work and family and typically only get a single playthrough of games. The usual advice of "try it one way and then another way once you've beaten it once" doesn't cut it for me. I usually get one shot at a game before I move on. If I beat it, it's because I pushed through on my first playthrough. If I don't...it's because I screwed up and don't have time to do it all over again. So I'm trying to maximize my options. (Note: I'm not trying to minmax. I'm not a powergamer. I *am* a completionist, but that's different.)

So...hoping you can help me out with some or all of these things. :)

1. Main PC: Combat efficiency is less important to me than "options" -- dialogue, alternative resolutions, clever manipulations, persuasions, etc. This means my mains tend to be on the squishy side, but able to convince, argue, seduce, unlock, spot things, etc. Based on this, is there a class/race combo that might work well? I find the concept of the Chanter appealing from an RP perspective but that's probably because I'm a fan of Patrick Rothfuss. :D

You can pick almost any class for this, just read up on the skills that you want to max out due to RPG-reason, and invest your points accordingly.

Holds true in Poe1!

1. Cipher, Cipher, Cipher: Seems like this class is by far the most popular in terms of discussion/builds. Am I going to be missing out by not making one? I do like the sound of it in general.

No.

I had some fun with cipher in PoE1, no doubt, but perhaps you should pick the companion Grieving Mother here - she's really cool.

1. Whither Rogues: Other than caster types, I most often play Rogue types. But this class seems pretty unpopular in builds or party composition discussions. Any reasons? 

If there is any isometric party-based game where a rogue/assassin/pickpocket main character will have lots of fun and RPG opportunities, it's this game, just beware of story/quest reactions/consequences

Sneaking etc. isn't as developed in PoE1 as in its sequel game, so there's that. Still a solid class.

1. Pre-Built Companions or Custom Adventurers: What's the consensus on bringing the pre-built story companions? Are they worth their scripts and backgrounds? Any to avoid or better to choose an Adventurer? 

There certainly is no consensus on this issue. Remember, though, that you have your "companions lite" in this game as well (with nearly no game/story reactivity, but still unique and fun). Personally, I took along two full companions (one faction realted, and one that wasn't, and then two companions lite. Adventurers will simply get the stats you give them - like henchmen. With only one playthrough, I'd seriously consider having your entire party with fleshed-out companions. They are voiced, have personal quests, etc. Word of warning: A few of them are like chalk and cheese. Perhaps read up a bit first on that.

In PoE1, there aren't any companions lite, just companions and henchmen adventurers. Considering that you want to continue through into Deadfire, surely Edér, Pallegina, and Aloth would be great picks. And Kana (very minor spoiler) is the brother of a Deadfire-companion (but not at all similar). You can set their stats pretty freely as soon as you find them.

1. Carryover to PoE2: Taking all of the above into consideration -- how does importing from PoE1 into PoE2 work? Any good synergies between the games that I should consider? (Like, if there are no good Chanter story companions in PoE2, would having a PC as one be good, etc.) 

I'd say that you shouldn't hamper yourself with this issue. You can even repick your important choices and not even import a save. The impact in Deadfire of your previous playthrough, well, it's sporadic, in the form of small lines of text sprinkled throughout the game (even marked with a symbol when this is the case.) I'd say that you should treat this as a new fresh start, because Deadfire is a really good stand-alone game.

OK that's probably enough for now. Thanks so much for your help, community!

EDIT: A slight oops! I assumed that this was about a PoE2 Deadfire playthrough coming from PoE. This affects all of my replies. Sorry.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I updated my post above, just for our new Berserker-lad! ;)

Don't miss out on the great White March xps. However, don't play them too early, like level 8, would be great (but don't play them at the end!)

Also, bear in mind that a few companions are available rather late, like Grieving Mother, so plan ahead a bit - just make sure that you have them all before White March (even though the reactivity there on their behalf is not stellar.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Any class/race combo will work for roleplaying. I think in just straight numbers cipher gets more mentions in game also orlan i remember gets some mentions for reasons i wont say but its not worth doing your whole playthrough just on that fact necessarily. In this game there is no charisma stat so all the stats contribute to combat and dialogue. Some more than others. example perception (better accuracy), intellect (bigger AOE and longer abilties), resolve (more deflection). These 3 come up the most in dialogue. 

Edited by draego

2. Cipher, Cipher, Cipher: Seems like this class is by far the most popular in terms of discussion/builds. Am I going to be missing out by not making one? I do like the sound of it in general.

I think its for two reasons you see this:

First this is a newish class that is different from standard d&D at least the versions you see in video games. There is novelty in this. It is a cool class a mix of weapon damage and casting. 

Second when the game first came out they were way overpowered and went through several iteration of nerfs. They are still really good but there was lots back and forth about the changes. 

Edited by draego

3. Whither Rogues: Other than caster types, I most often play Rogue types. But this class seems pretty unpopular in builds or party composition discussions. Any reasons? 3. 

Basically it comes down to the rogues main purpose in POE is single target DPS and there are classes who out perform this one thing the rogue does and they do others things as well. But rogues are still fine as a class because the directors main goal for this game was "No bad builds" so this isnt d&d and with trap builds all over. If you like rogues just play them and you will find they hit hard but maybe a little squishy if you go melee. You just have to micro them and protect them in melee more

Something else to remember in this game, classes are not locked into skills. So anyone can be the trap guy or anyone can be the lore guy (cast spells from scrolls). There are no gates like D&D

Edited by draego

4. Pre-Built Companions or Custom Adventurers: What's the consensus on bringing the pre-built story companions? Are they worth their scripts and backgrounds? Any to avoid or better to choose an Adventurer? 

To me this isnt even close. The story companions all the way . First they have cool stories and are fun to adventure with. Next for most of the game especially the early part they are just flat out better than custom adventurers because they are 1 level higher than custom adventurers. They have better defenses and access to more skill and spells. Later on the difference wont matter any more but earlier on there is still an advantage to story companions.

What you see in chats is people saying companions have bad stats but his misunderstands how valuable stats are. Unlike D&D stats have a more linear slow progression. This is part of the 'no bad builds' philosophy and was done to promote more roleplaying options like muscle wizard with low intellect or intellect fighter with low strength. There is also no attribute requirements like D&D on class skills and spells so you can mix and match attributes to class and roles all you want.

Edited by draego

As for difficulty: Even RPG/CRPG-veterans like you have had problems transitioning to PoE1, with a pretty different system in several ways (not radically, but still...).

I still read complaints about certain ethereal monsters stun-locking the characters of eager PoE players so effectively that they say that story mode is too hard (not kidding here).

Just go into it all being prepared to read the combat log after an encounter didn't go your way, and try to see how you can do the fight differently. May I humbly suggest slow mode and having lots of pause conditions under settings checked? If you really liked BGII and are just as seasoned as I hope you are, I'd say that you can safely pick normal and enjoy the game RPG-wise and combat-wise.