Cannot "continue" or "load" a game from the main menu

occupanttheory

Question

Hello,

Apologies if this is a duplicate issue. I've read similar threads and the known issues thread, but either the descriptions did not match my issue, or the solutions did not remedy the issue for me.

My issue: 

post-183121-0-20254400-1543889284_thumb.png

As displayed above, I cannot continue or load my games. This was very sudden, starting just yesterday. I have played the game for 189 hours across multiple play-throughs, without incident before now.

What I've tried so far:

• I have checked that the save game files still exist in my user directory "Saved Games" folder
  • I have tried making a new game to see if it is just old games that I can't continue / load, but new games are affected as well
  • I have completely uninstalled the game and reinstalled it from Steam (as some threads recommended)
  • I have completely disabled all of my anti-virus software and then launched the game, to see if that was causing the issue (as some threads recommended)
  • I turned off "Steam Cloud Synchronization" to see if that was causing the issue (as some threads recommended)

About my environment:

• Windows 10
  • Bitdefender anti-virus
  • Steam version 
  • DLC: all DLC (complimentary and purchased)
  • Mods: Yes, though I left them all out when I uninstalled and reinstalled the game

Let me know if more information is needed, and thank you for any help you can provide!

Edited by occupanttheory

2 answers to this question

Hello Occupant,

I'm sorry Deadfire isn't recognizing your save files.  Would you be able to reproduce the issue and then send the output_log.txt file and a group of some affected saves to me at support@obsidian.net along with your forum username and a link to this thread as a reference so we can test them on our side and see if we can reproduce the issue?  If needed, you can find instructions on how to obtain the output_log.txt file here.

I'm also curious as to what game version your copy is currently running.  This should be displayed in the top right of the Title Menu. (ex. v3.1.1.0032 LAX12ABCDEF -steam)

Thank you Occupant, and sorry for the inconvenience this is causing your playthrough.

• Like 1

Thank you for asking me to follow those steps! In so doing, I discovered that I can't actually compress any files or folders on my entire computer! I suspected that this defect was probably related to the Pillars of Eternity behavior I was seeing, so I opened a case with Microsoft Support. They found that some system files involved with the governance of the file system were corrupt. Once that was fixed, suddenly Pillars of Eternity II works fine!

I guess it goes to show how much I play this game, that it was the canary in the coal mine detecting such a massive error before anything else on my system.

Thanks so much for the help!

• Like 2