Modifying description strings

I'm changing The Undying Burden back to what it was before patch 1.1, and the change appears to require a modification of its description string as well. Namely, the belt currently provides up to 10% damage reduction based on the character's health, starting from 0%; before the nerf, it provided a 10% starting damage reduction which scaled up to 30%.

I would like to change the description to match what it was before 1.1:

Incoming weapon damage reduced by 10% (stacks three times as health is lost, for a max of-30% to damage)

My questions are:

• Can strings be overridden like other game files (i.e. I add a modified string to my mod in the override folder and it gets used instead of the original)?
  • Where can I find the English string to modify?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Thank you, everyone!

I found the string in question:

<Entry>
<ID>44</ID>
<DefaultText>Incoming weapon Damage is reduced as Health is lost. (Max {0:value:percentbonus} Damage reduction)</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>

I would like to change it to:

<Entry>
<ID>44</ID>
<DefaultText>Incoming weapon Damage is reduced by 10% (stacks three times as health is lost, for a max of {0:value:percentbonus} Damage reduction)</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>

I would like the 10% figure, however, to be retrieved from the item's stat block like the 30% is. Here's where the 10% is set:

"ExtraValue": 0.1,
"OverridePenetration": 0,
"DamageTypeValue": "All",
"KeywordValueID": "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000",
"RaceValue": "None",
"StatusEffectTypeValue": "None",
"ItemValueID": "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000",
"AfflictionTypeValueID": "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000",
"StatusEffectsValueIDs": [],
"AttackValueID": "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000",
"AttackOverrideValue": "None",
"EventValue": "OnApply",
"ClassValueID": "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000",
"WeaponTypeValue": "None",
"AttackHitType": "None",
"SkillValueID": "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000",
"AudioEventListID": "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000",
"BedRestDaysMinimum": 0,
"BedRestDaysMaximum": 0

Any idea what I should type in the description to make it work?

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Heya Andrea,

You should be able to use "{0:extravalue:percentbonus}" to grab the .1 (or whatever you replace it with) from that extra value slot.

So something like "Incoming weapon Damage is reduced by {0:extravalue:percentbonus} (stacks three times as health is lost, for a max of {0:value:percentbonus} Damage reduction)" =)

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

I try my very best.

Thank you, Andy!

Unfortunately the override doesn't seem to be working :(

Edited by AndreaColombo

I put it in localized/en/text/game/statuseffects.stringtable within my mod folder.

• Like 1