Which character do you guys think would be more compelling from a narrative perspective?

Hello! Did you miss me? Probably not. 

So, been thinking about the character I want to play when 2.1 launches, for my first go through the BoW DLC, and through Seeker Slayer Survivor and the Archmage DLC (So we'll have Rymrgand, Galawain, and... probably Wael?). And I decided that, rather than come up with a bunch of different combinations of classes/multiclasses, I'd rather talk about some of the major character archetypes I've enjoyed playing throughout the years, and get your feedback on which of those sounds more interesting/compelling. 

1. The "Stormbringer," (Human Pirate from the Deadfire) - Basically a treatment of the usual Barbarian character I play, a pirate with a special affinity for storms. Blessed by Ondra, one might say, he keeps his footing on rain swept decks as well as others might walking down wide streets. He tends to be a fair captain who always ensures his crew get their due reward, but doesn't hesitate to punish those who threaten mutiny. 

Classes: Brute (Berserker/Devoted), pure Berserker

Weapons: Pollaxes or two-handed battleaxes

REQUIRES SOME MODDING - I'm working with the mod making team to see if I can get a two-handed battleaxe version of Lord Darryn's Voulge for something a little more aesthetically pleasing that fits the 'Stormbringer' aesthetic. 

2. The Science Spy (Pale Elf Animancy researcher/saboteur from the White that Wends, by way of the Vallian Republics) - Cribbing off of Ydwin here. This is a treatment of the debonair scholar/spy I've played in a few other games. I love Pale Elves aesthetically, but this character would work with Wood Elf as well. Basically, this character is more heavily into the mystical and societal aspects of the world, gathering knowledge and using it to barter a bigger and better position within the Vallian Republics. And with how long elves in this setting tend to live, he's had plenty of time to work those angles. 

Classes: Sage (No-Subclass/Helwalker), pure Wizard (For sheer spell selection and variety, and access to things like Meteor Shower and Cloak of Death)

Weapons: Citzal's Spirit Lance - Otherwise, Chromoprismatic Quarterstaff, or any other good Wizard weapon

Curious as to what you guys think. Personally, I'm leaning toward the second one, and a pure Wizard at that, for a few reasons. First, Wizards are obviously going to have quite a bit to do in the final DLC, since it deals so heavily with the Archmages - apparently each of them is going to be asking us to do different things? Second, the sheer variety of spells available promises to add a lot of variety to different encounters - I can decide whether to rain down Evocations on my enemies from afar, or get in close with self-buffing and Citzal's Spirit Lance, which is considered by many to be one of the best melee weapons in the game. The only issue is that it (feels) like Wizard is more limited in terms of resources, but maybe this isn't the case. People seem to suggest the Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardry as being mandatory for a Wizard build, but I also want to use Ninagauth's Teachings for Ninagauth's Shadowflame and Ninagauth's Killing Bolt, which are both fantastic spells. 

Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious - the first character would be pro-Principi while the second would be pro-VTC. I have backgrounds in mind for both. 

• Like 1

You might also consider playing as a different character from previous pts. For example, if you already played with the dispositions you are planning for one of these characters, then the other one might be more interesting to get a different experience.

As for the classes, the wizard would be more interesting for the third DLC.

sign.jpg

You might also consider playing as a different character from previous pts. For example, if you already played with the dispositions you are planning for one of these characters, then the other one might be more interesting to get a different experience.

As for the classes, the wizard would be more interesting for the third DLC.

Definitely agreed. And the pro-Principi character is close to the character I played in my pro-Huana playthrough, so I kind of want to try something different. Now I just need to decide on a race for my Wizard. Trying to choose between Nature Godlike and Pale Elf. 

Also, the spell animations look fantastic. So that's a big plus right there. 

Definitely agreed. And the pro-Principi character is close to the character I played in my pro-Huana playthrough, so I kind of want to try something different. Now I just need to decide on a race for my Wizard. Trying to choose between Nature Godlike and Pale Elf. 

Nature Godlike for the power level if you want to play a more powerful character. Pale Elf for the roleplay. I'll be one in my next pt and I'll have a Ydwin and Vatnir in my party.

sign.jpg

Nature Godlike for the power level if you want to play a more powerful character. Pale Elf for the roleplay. I'll be one in my next pt and I'll have a Ydwin and Vatnir in my party.

Mhmm. Plus like I said, I like Pale Elf customization. I wish Nature Godlike could, innately, be more shades of green without having to use a mod.