Cant loot from certain chests?

Grim83

Question

Hello,

I have just encountered very strange issue in the game. Either I am completly stupid and I am missing something, or its a bug in the game. 

Thing is, that I am not able to loot from chests in the very first town, and even from some of the boxes in the area. Specificaly, I am not able to loot he chest which is on the second floor of Krakens Inn, near the trader with bombs. I have unlocked the chest with mechanic skill, but when I open the chest, and click on the items to take them (or take all function), I can hear the sound indicating things move to my invetory, but nothing happens.. Those things in the chest just stay there.. I have tried reloading a save and even restarting the game, but nothing helps.. I have also tried looting from stealh, or without stealth. 

Also, I am not able to loot chests near market (in the first town), containing Swordsmans bracers..

Anyone encountered such issue? 

It just seems to me like a bug and not a feature.. Or rather, why would I be prevented from looting certain chests?

4 answers to this question

Hello Grim,

I'm sorry to hear you are having troubles looting from containers.  Would I be able to trouble you for a save file where this is occurring.  I want to try this on my machine to see if I can reproduce the issue and send it off to Programming for a fix.  Instructions for obtaining save files can be found here.  You can either provide a link to your files via Dropbox or you may attach them to an email for us at support@obsidian.net. If you do email us, please link this post and mention your forum username so that we may identify you easily.

Thanks Grim, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for replies guys. I have used steam function "verify integrity of game files" and now I am at least able to grab items individually, as Teahl says. "Take all" still doesnt work, but thats not a big deal I guess. But it must be a bug anyway. Seems to be connected only to chests/boxes which are locked and near NPCs though. Other chests/boxes (in dungeons with enemies, for example) work fine.  This never happened to me in my 65 hours of playtime in Pillars of Eternity I.

Still interested in a save, SChin?

I must say this game is pretty bugged for me, since the very beginning, so far it is quite disappointing experience.  I never had such problems with the first game..

It started right after the very start of the game, when I had to get my crew together after crashing the ship. First major bug was when I was not able to proceed to Irina (if I remember the name correctly) after climbing the Defiant wreck. When I climbed it, there was still fog of war on the deck and I was not able to click anywhere.. I had to reload a save and then fog of war disappeared and I was able to get to Irena and talk to her.

Then, in the very first town, I had the problem (and still having) with being unable to loot some chests/boxes/etc , as I already described. (btw I have a vide now, if you want it, Schin, along with a save)

Then, in Deadlight fort, I had another gamebraking bug. I rang the bell to lure the boss out into the open, cutscene started, then I talked to him, etc. Then I decided to load a save which was before talking to him, so I can kill all other pirates in the fort and get their loot (because they were friendly after talking to the boss). I did that, and returned to the bell. However, now, after ringing the bell, nothing was happening. No cutscene of ship sailing away and boss coming out.. When I checked the secred dock, the ship wasnt even there! So the game somehow remembered that I already spoke to the boss and ship sailed away, despite loading a save right before talking to him.

Another strange bug was that one group of pirates suddenly disappared , after loading a save. When I reloaded the save again, the group was suddenly there  again.. (Ungwith group, to be precise). So, it seems there is a lot of bad things going on when you frequently use save/load, at least for me.

All this in first few hours of playing the game. What a disappointment.. :( It feels to me like my whole game is broken for me for some reason. Maybe it would be safer to start a new game from the beginning. But loosing 5 hours of my time because of bugs really sucks. Then again, I never had such strange save/load issues in any other game, and I played hundreds of them. And it seems really weird that this would be happening only to me.

Edited by Grim83