Game crashes on startup

ohsweetconcord

Question

Hello fellow Watchers! I'm an avid cRPG fan (especially Infinity engine games and their successors) and PoE2 backer. I'm greatly enjoying the game so far, about 30 hours in, but sometimes it refuses to start for me. I hit "start' in steam and then I see a black screen and my mouse turns into the Windows 10 hourglass icon. It stays like that indefinitely. When I click the mouse, the game crashes.

I've tried verifying the integrity of my game cache and updating my video card drivers to no avail. Is there anything else I can do? This is the crash log from Event Viewer:

The program PillarsOfEternityII.exe version 2.0.0.30 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 105c
 Start Time: 01d42ec79b977f39
 Termination Time: 2
 Application Path: C:\Ludus Celer\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity II\PillarsOfEternityII.exe
 Report Id: eb5ba386-275d-4561-953c-98aacbb3684c
 Faulting package full name: 
 Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Here's the information from one of the crashes found in the aforementioned Security and Maintenance control panel:

Source
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Summary
Stopped responding and was closed

Date
‎2018-‎08-‎07 10:37 AM

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
Faulting Application Path: C:\Ludus Celer\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity II\PillarsOfEternityII.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: PillarsOfEternityII.exe
Application Version: 2.0.0.30
Application Timestamp: 59aed1bf
Hang Signature: 4a65
Hang Type: 134217728
OS Version: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Hang Signature 1: 4a653f0a2c6e283328c2eea7be90af86
Additional Hang Signature 2: 0488
Additional Hang Signature 3: 048898f33ab24b966062d14007422251
Additional Hang Signature 4: 4a65
Additional Hang Signature 5: 4a653f0a2c6e283328c2eea7be90af86
Additional Hang Signature 6: 0488
Additional Hang Signature 7: 048898f33ab24b966062d14007422251

Any advice on what might work would be most appreciated. I've really been loving the game! My Watcher is a Moon Godlike monk. The party just hit level 11. Singing pirate shanties and then punching things so hard they explode is loads of fun. 

4 answers to this question

Hello Ohsweetconcord,

I'm sorry to hear you've been crashing on start up.  I do have a couple of requests that can help the situation.  The first is to try an uninstall and reinstall of the game.  I know its kind of cliche, but other users who have run into this issue have gotten the game to work by doing this.  The second thing, if the first doesn't work, is to send us your crash logs after the game crashes.  You can find instructions on where to get these here.  You can either provide a link to your files via Dropbox or you may attach them to an email for us at support@obsidian.net. If you do email us, please link this post and mention your Steam forum username so that we may identify you easily.

Sorry for the inconvenience this crash is causing.

Update: spoke too soon! Just tried to launch the game again and the issue has returned. I noticed the game downloaded some kind of update from Steam on my first unsuccessful launch attempt this time around. It couldn't be the Beast of Winter DLC/update, since that was already downloaded with the rest of the files when I re-downloaded the game this morning. Regardless, I'll send along the crash files tomorrow afternoon when I need a break from yard work.