System crashes randomly during game

Corthaxius

Question

As the topic says my game crashes randomly during play. I haven't been able to accertain what might be the exact reason for it since it's not constistent or reproducible. Sometimes it's during a fight, sometimes just while running around a map, sometimes just when I cast a spell or whatever. So far it never happened on the world map or in a dialogue screen. Sometimes it doesn't crash for hours, then it just takes a few minutes of playing the game.

My guess is that it has something to do with my graphics card but even with trying a lot of combinations of settings, as mentioned in other topics on the forum, I haven't been able to get rid of the crashes. Since it always takes the whole computer with it as if I pulled the plug I don't get a crash log either.

The dxdiag and standard output-logfile are attached.

DxDiag.txt

output_log.txt

It would be seriously nice if you could help me get rid of this problem.

Best regards.

EDIT: I just remebered something else. Back when the game just came out I didn't use to get any crashes. It only started somewhere in June I guess. But I can't pinpoint it anymore exactly since I don't have all that much time to play. So my guess is that some patch changed something that my system didn't like all that much.

Edited by Corthaxius

3 answers to this question

Since it always takes the whole computer with it as if I pulled the plug I don't get a crash log either.

Don’t worry. At some point jlee will come along and ask you for a crash log anyway and then will never visit this thread again. I bumped my thread 4 times and then gave up.

EDIT: fwiw, it might be worth trying the steps recommended in the pinned NVIDIA thread above. At some point I noticed that RivaTuner wasn’t automatically launching with my PC and the issue seems to have resolved itself once I changed the setting to ensure that it does. It may be a coincidence, but I won’t know for sure until I get another crash.

Edited by Achilles

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Thanks for the recommendation. Already tried all suggestions in there. I limited the framrate by using Nvidia-Inspector. I really like that tool. But it didn't change anything concerning the crashes though.

What I kinda noticed with my crashes is that they always occur when some kind of effect appears, for example some spell is cast or some random thing happens in the vicinity. So I tried to disable "Lights", "Ambient Occlusion" and "Buoyant Objects" in the graphic options and haven't had a crash since (about 5 hours of playtime). Strange, that that hasn't been mentioned in any of the topics so far. I'll try around a bit to find out which option exactly did it once I have the time.#

EDIT: It seems to be the "Lights" option. I enabled the other two and had no crashes. If I enable "Lights" it takes about 10 Minutes (or until the next fight with spells). So if anyone has the same problem, they might wanna try this.

Edited by Corthaxius

My issue seems to have something to do with boats and water. The Serafen intro, deck-to-deck combat, etc. Hard reboot each time.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."