Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

*Possible Spoilers* Devoted Dual Wield Swashbuckler: Help Me Decide Between Sabres or Swords

Weapons lore build class

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Wodehouse_44

Wodehouse_44

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 55 posts

Basically,

Swords:

- Whispers of Yenwood

- Hel Beckoning

- Duskfall
- Modwyr

Vs.

Sabres:
- Aldris Blade
- Grave Calling
- Tarn's Respite

- Scordeo's Edge

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1287 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I have no technical opinion, but isn't it nice to hear Modwyr laughing while you kill people?

• InsaneCommander likes this

zered

zered

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 127 posts

Griffin's Blade mate.

Joulurotta

Joulurotta

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 8 posts
I went through the game as mindstalker wielding whispers of yenwood (enchant silence the dead) and modwyr, couldn’t help but wonder why modwyr’s owner threw her away, that maniac laughter just fits to the psychotic character you end up, unless you carefully select dialogue choises.

Swords have advance on hitting either piercing or slashing damage where sabras only deal slashing.
  • Wodehouse_44 likes this

Joulurotta

Joulurotta

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 8 posts
You forgot Watcher’s Blade, deals lovely raw damage.

SimonCharming

SimonCharming

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I highly suggest swords over sabres as a Devoted. Swords have two damage types yet lack base penetration; Devoted's penetration bonus eliminates that flaw. In turn the dual damage types allow you to fight nearly every enemy without weapon switching, which is important since you will have heavy penalties for your Crushing Damage backup weapon.  

• Wodehouse_44 likes this

Wodehouse_44

Wodehouse_44

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 55 posts

I highly suggest swords over sabres as a Devoted. Swords have two damage types yet lack base penetration; Devoted's penetration bonus eliminates that flaw. In turn the dual damage types allow you to fight nearly every enemy without weapon switching, which is important since you will have heavy penalties for your Crushing Damage backup weapon.  

My only qualm is that I'm building  a raider/pirate who originates from the Deadfire, so lore wise sabers make more sense. However, it's pretty easy to get good swords early in Neketaka i.e. Duskfall (obtained via good diplomacy), and Whispers (only 1500, and not that hard to enchant away the will debuff).

Edited by Wodehouse_44, 30 July 2018 - 11:32 AM.

SimonCharming

SimonCharming

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If you need to dual-wield sabres as a Devoted, then I suggest dual clubs for your backup weapon slot. Covering Slash and Crush is better than covering Slash and Pierce, and club accuracy bonus and attack speed will help mitigate the lost accuracy. Their modal can also be safely ignored.

• Heijoushin, InsaneCommander and Wodehouse_44 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Weapons, lore, build, class

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users