So I did it - created a Priest of Wael for the next playthrough.

I tried Wall of Draining once, some time ago, and seemed to me it did not work at all! But that is probably just wrong, it works right?

Only works if enemies have buffs running u can leech time from

It has actually zero effect on Barring Death's Door (just checked on Rotghasts + Broodmother who casts Devotions on them).

Salvation of Time is obviously bugged: if you apply it for the first time it gives you +20 secs instead of +10.

Only the second appliance will give you +10 secs. So for the second time it's actually better to cast Barring Death's Door again because its duration is usually 10+ secs at higher levels while Salvation doesn't scale at all.

I was afraid of that, since strand of favor also has zero effect on it I assume that barring doesn't count as a "beneficial effect" for some reason. But then again, how can salvation of time work with it? O_o Edited by Dorftek

Best part of playing a Waelite is the "Wael, take the wheel" moment when traversing a reef near Motare o Kōzi.

Also fun: Board all Plagued ships. (Using Minor Intercession to clear the disease afterwards is neat.) Keep interesting secret information, like the animancer's notes and Beza's journal, even if you'd be rewarded for sharing. Don't do the quests for the mapmaker. Or do them, then murder him immediately thereafter. (Too bad you can't solve those quests by making stuff up!) Lie to the gods whenever you think you can get away with it The solo ending is best-- you're off to discover the secrets of Ukaizo for yourself, not share them with the world. Rekke, Grandmaster Aloth, and consumed-by-visions Xoti are the most thematically appropriate party members.

Mechanically, though, I don't think you'll get a whole lot of mileage out of the +Illusions gear. Only about half your bonus spells are Illusions, and they just don't benefit much from Power Level boosts-- the self-buffs only gain duration, and the offensive ones gain duration and a little accuracy. (Maybe A's Wondrous Torment bounces more?)

Even w +4 PL?

Best part of playing a Waelite is the "Wael, take the wheel" moment when traversing a reef near Motare o Kōzi.

Also fun: Board all Plagued ships. (Using Minor Intercession to clear the disease afterwards is neat.) Keep interesting secret information, like the animancer's notes and Beza's journal, even if you'd be rewarded for sharing. Don't do the quests for the mapmaker. Or do them, then murder him immediately thereafter. (Too bad you can't solve those quests by making stuff up!) Lie to the gods whenever you think you can get away with it The solo ending is best-- you're off to discover the secrets of Ukaizo for yourself, not share them with the world. Rekke, Grandmaster Aloth, and consumed-by-visions Xoti are the most thematically appropriate party members.

Mechanically, though, I don't think you'll get a whole lot of mileage out of the +Illusions gear. Only about half your bonus spells are Illusions, and they just don't benefit much from Power Level boosts-- the self-buffs only gain duration, and the offensive ones gain duration and a little accuracy. (Maybe A's Wondrous Torment bounces more?)

Even w +4 PL?

The only illusions that a Priest of Wael knows are Mirrored Images, L's Displaced Image, Confusion, A's Wondrous Torment, and Gaze of the Adragan. 

Per this thread, +4 PL amounts to +20% duration for all of them, +4 ACC for the last 3, and +2 bounces for Wondrous Torment.  Also, the first 2 already last longer than most fights do, and Confusion is almost never worth the action-economy to cast. 

Edited by Enoch

There was someone called Fake_TV iirc streaming solo PotD Priest of Wael on Twitch. Over-level -> BDD -> nuke. It plays like Wizard, the strongest class, without Pull of Eora and Chill Fog. 

Yea this guy has played some interesting builds. big fan over here. Wish I had more time to watch.

if you want heavy illusion roleplay I guess go Wael+Wizard or Wael+Trickster.

If you want heavy fire/damage go Wael+Paladin or Wael+Druid? maybe?

Wael and Trickster are redudant...and I'm rogued out :p appreciate the thought tho...I think Priest Druid is an interesting combo but I don't want to miss out on the high level priest spells.

Guys having trouble RP this build - because many quests are fetch this and return...but a disciple of Wael wouldn't necessarily do that. For example, the Hauna tablet and notes for Arkemyr. Thoughts?

Guys having trouble RP this build - because many quests are fetch this and return...but a disciple of Wael wouldn't necessarily do that. For example, the Hauna tablet and notes for Arkemyr. Thoughts?

Yeah, that's a challenge.  You've got to come up with creative ways to justify actions that are somewhat metagame-necessary.  Bringing unearned enlightenment to others is generally a no-no.  But maybe you're doing so to serve a greater curiousity?  If you view it as more of an exchange of information, that's probably OK, right?  Perhaps you suspect that ingratiating yourself to the Circle will lead to the revelation of some bigger Secrets than what you may have found in those notes...

That said, there are also some very satisfying opportunities to OBSCURE things properly.  All of Aruihi's quests, for example, can be resolved with a lovely "Nothing to see here!" bluff.

Edited by Enoch

Yeah, that's a challenge. You've got to come up with creative ways to justify actions that are somewhat metagame-necessary. Bringing unearned enlightenment to others is generally a no-no. But maybe you're doing so to serve a greater curiousity? If you view it as more of an exchange of information, that's probably OK, right? Perhaps you suspect that ingratiating yourself to the Circle will lead to the revelation of some bigger Secrets than what you may have found in those notes...

That said, there are also some very satisfying opportunities to OBSCURE things properly. All of Aruihi's quests, for example, can be resolved with a lovely "Nothing to see here!" bluff.

You've been a big help...but I just can't do it! I'm halfway through maxing Rational and Honest and I'm only 8 hrs in haha. It's a great subclass but I can't RP. I'm too honest ha.

I think I'm going to do Berath. Has the RP element, subclass looks fun, and I heard it has a great Incarnate summon.