So I've played quite a few party-based RPGs (a lot of MIght & Magic, Torment, KOTOR, DA:O and so on) and was very excited to try out Pillars...
until around 4 hours into the game, I find myself struggling to enjoy it. Here are the issues I'm currently having, if you have any ideas (no spoilers of course) if they'll go away or can be fixed please let me know
1) The AI of the companions is brain dead. Unless you tell them specifically every single time what to do they could be a warrior standing 1 meter away from the enemy and not attacking. Which brings a lot of unnecessary and annoying micro to the game.
2) Pathfinding + disengage rule: the game has really terrible pathfinding. I had a few cases when one of my characters couldn't get through a doorway that is wide enough for three people or would be running around a huge enemy group to get engaged somewhere where I didn't want him to. Which would be fine but the extra strike on disengage makes the flawed pathfinding even more punishing to the player. Even if you are fighting two spiders that can be easily defeated you have to micro the whole group to make sure everyone is doing at least something.
3) Mages seem to be very...unfun I guess would be the word. You have some great spells but you have to hold on to them in case some big fight happens, so they end up shooting their staffs 90% of the time. I'm fine with advanced spells having this restriction but basic spells? Cast 4 missiles and you are out of magic?
4) The battle music. I don't know if this will go on but so far I had the same song playing probably around 200 times every time a battle starts, it is really getting on my nerves now
5) The tons and tons of useless loot that you end up carrying. And it's not even fun loot, it's just basic swords and armor and junk just for selling. There's soooo much of it, probably more than in any other game I've seen!
6) The weird mix between some characters speaking some dialogue, then going silent out of a sudden for me to read and then starting speaking again.
I'm hoping the game would get more fun later on but so far these things kind of spoil the fun for me.