Are these useful... ever? Is there some part of the game I haven't hit where one is stripped of all their possessions?

How can anyone in their right mind try to ship a multimillion dollar product without making absolutely sure that they don't upset all their players with a degree in Medieval English Linguistics?

Is there some part of the game I haven't hit where one is stripped of all their possessions?

Not that I know of.

Are these useful... ever?

They aren't bad actually. The lash is pretty big and is one of few multiplicative damage bonuses (most are additive). Combined with certain multiclass combinations they can be pretty powerful.

That said there are so many excellent unique weapons in the game which make them a lot less appealing. Had they existed in PoE1 with a 50% lash they'd have been very strong.

I get good situational use out of the Rod from God (Wael).  Wael makes for a nice multiclass with a melee class (due to access to defensive Wizard spells), and the Rod provides a strong option for when a ranged weapon would be tactically advantageous, without taking up a weapon set. 

In situations where Pallegina and Serafen can hold the front lines by themselves, my Contemplative calls the GodRod, actives Swift Strikes and Dance of Death, and PEWPEWs away.