I am a big fan of not being a fan of floaty combat, magnetic weapons etc.
Things like this may not bother everyone, but i know alot of people really hate it.
It should really be a thing of the past by now.
That is why i obviously think combat should be made impactful, and with this type of game i feel it should be easy to achieve. Impactful, what do you mean?
A few examples;
- Shield block: When a strike is blocked you can see the weapon hitting the shield, and the shield bearer receiving the impact.
- Parry: both weapons hitting simultaneously, sparks flying
- Humanios vs humanoid actions: If a rogue-character dealt the finishing blow on an opponent it could result in for instance a backstab animation (% chance of happening?).
- X vs humanoid actions: Animation of a humanoid getting pinned (stunned) by a dog etc.
- Spells resisted: Perhaps some sort of mental sphere pulsating for an instant.
Many of these things was done successfully (to an extent) in DO:A (2009)
Small things often have a very large effect!
Also we need a voidwalker-ish thief/wizard class that can blink-backstab.