Video Cameras

Gorth

So, my old Sony Cybershot treacherously pulled me one over and ruined all my holiday pictures the last time I was visiting the mountains and fjords in New Zealand. Disposing of it responsibly (smashing it with a hammer), I promised myself that my next investment might as well be a video camera that also could take decent still pictures.

Being completely new at this, I've only just started scratching the surface of the market and is struggling a bit sifting gold from fools gold.

I'm currently having the Canon VIXIA HF G10 in my sights, but reviewers lament the lack of good still pictures. Anyone know of a good compromise between HD Video, low light handling and still pictures? Good optical zoom is a bonus, 3D functionality not desired (maybe in a few years time, but that time, that worry).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Not what you want to hear, but I would still recommend a camera that does video than the other way around.

Cameras blow video cameras out of the water when it comes to still picture quality, and for video recording, they are good enough. Unless you plan on creating professional level videos.

Sony does excellent video cameras, if low light recording is important for you. Also does Full HD very well. They are usually not so impressive in the zoom range though, since the longer the zoom, the more compromises in picture quality.

The upcoming Sony HDR-CX740VE is bound to be excellent (as it is an upgrade of an existing top ranked camera), for example.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Thanks mkreku. I've been considering getting a separate video and "still" camera, it just seems like a lot of bagage carrying around. Few things looks more silly than tourists spending more time trying to sort out there equipment than just enjoying their holidays :p

I don't need it for a few months yet, so I'll keep an eye on the Sony HDR-CX740VE too.

As for zoom qualities, it looks like most HD Camcorders comes with 10x optical zoom. Found one that did 12x, but otherwise you'll need attachments or professional grade equipment indeed.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Probably being in line with what you come from. I was cheap and got the Canon IXUS 105. It's a nice and shoddy little camera who is mostly a pain in the back side, but once you fully understand its limitations it can do some pretty nice shots, but it can do vids too. It actually do vids better than pictures and sound is pretty decent too considering the cheap plastic feel of it. Unfortunately the vids are extremely large and low resolution and it also seems to have a build-in anti-squirrel filter.. Zoom doesn't work when making movies. It shoots and films nature pretty well as long as it's standing still.. Had the camera for the most part of a year, before I realized that the reason why my pictures were full of annoying shadows on the edges was because of the way I held the camera with my big fingers.. I was partially covering the flash.. I felt very stupid and silly afterwards. Anyway I wouldn't recommend getting that, but I wonder what kind of movies and objectives you intend to shoot?

(Signatures: disabled) 

but I wonder what kind of movies and objectives you intend to shoot?

Mostly outdoors landscapes, cities, vistas, wildlife etc. No macro insect shots or weird stuff. Just a way to share experiences with those who weren't there on my travels. That's why I need something with anti-shake and decent low light performance, as it's for all times of day and night.

As for zoom qualities, it looks like most HD Camcorders comes with 10x optical zoom. Found one that did 12x, but otherwise you'll need attachments or professional grade equipment indeed.

As for zoom qualities.. since you intend to use the video camera as a still picture camera, the zoom range is not really what you should be focusing on. I mentioned the Sony camera because it starts at an impressive 26 mm wide angle. Trust me, wide angle is more important than zoom range if you intend to take still pictures too.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Turns out I had it's "predecessor" (current version) the Sony HDR-CX700V on my shortlist together with the Panasonic HDC-TM900K.

Trying to catch up on reviews for those, plus a few more.