Possible bug with companion dialogue skill checks

Rhypht

Question

I know companions are supposed to be able to assist you in dialogue checks, but so far I haven't seen it happen. I consistently get shown that my party contribution to a check is "0" even though I know that I have party members with points in the relevant skills. Is this a bug or is there something about this feature that I'm missing?

2 answers to this question

I know companions are supposed to be able to assist you in dialogue checks, but so far I haven't seen it happen. I consistently get shown that my party contribution to a check is "0" even though I know that I have party members with points in the relevant skills. Is this a bug or is there something about this feature that I'm missing?

Check your formation setting and distance to your main character during dialogues -- I have found that there is a very, very small area around the main char only where those party assists are being registered/counted... for example when using a custom formation and having the main char 2 or 3 squares away from the rest of your party, during dialogues you would likely not get any assists.

If you manually make sure that all your party members are directly next to the NPC and main char before starting the dialogue, you will however see those assists suddenly working.

@Caleb:

I would suggest making that area at least 25% bigger, because it really does lead to me having to manually reposition my guys from their regular formation for every single dialogue, just to make sure that the game actually knows that I want them to be involved in this discussion.