Turn stalling bugs and store issues.

Klawm

Question

I started playing about a fortnight ago on iOS (iPad 2017 -- sorry for the retarded Apple Naming System). In that time I've come across a host of issues in the game. The game is ultra buggy. Frequently game-breakingly so. I'm on the iOS 11.2.6 (15D100).

Gamecenter logs in properly and I have an Asmodee account linked properly with #3362.

Store Issues

​After playing through Background of Runelords on normal I attempted to purchase more characters than the two I had, not realising I was just buying alternate skins -- $3 AUD a pop which was okay but the information that it was hero skins and not the actual heroes was poorly communicated in the store.

However I was unable to make any purchases, even after quitting/restarting the application (as in double home screen, swipe closing the application -- not just homebutton returning to app screen). This problem was solved in a timed manner, essentially I was able to purchase the heroes after waiting an hour. Nothing else I attempted worked.

Gameplay

Occasionally a turn would stall and I would have no options. I eventually found out the 'fix' was exiting to the store/collection/menu and continuing to the game. However on both the mountain exploration -- two missions before the final of runelords and once I hit the final boss fight of the runelords expansion this fix stopped working. Specifically Scrying and Revelation Feather both refused to explore the exploration deck of the final battle and would hang the game with no next arrow and no exploration.

Eventually, after forfeiting the game three times to this bug, one time it randomly worked the next time I tried that campaign.

I am now in the third mission of mercenary tales and I got completely stuck, exiting application/continuing/menu transitions not working on my mage with a next arrow showing on the explore screen. Sorry I don't recall the specific actions I was doing before that point. But this turn hang means I once more need to forfeit a scenario and restart it. The bugs are going from annoying to personally insulting as I feel I spent money on a barely functioning product.

All these problems were on the normal difficulty.

I have also noticed a variety of other fun 'features' like paralyzed/moved enemy encounters staying visible over the explore deck and re-magnifying when the next card is drawn.

If it helps barring scrying and revelation feather (which both regularly bug out completely) the other bugs frequently involve the use of aids by other party members, like blessings etc.

I play with 6 members if it helps.

On a personal note ​I find these bugs infuriating because I'm really enjoying this game and it's exactly the sort of thing I love. Today I've had to forfeit four times due to these bugs...

EDIT: I recall another bug. I had a daily quest for obtaining 10 allied followers I completed. Whenever I swipe-close the application and continue my game the already completed quests pops up on the bottom of the screen stating it's 10/10 completed and I got -1 gold for it.

Edited by Klawm

1 answer to this question

Hello Klawm,

I do not own an iPad (Android user here) and I was able to buy some items recently without any problem in two seconds - Valeros DLC and both Goblins. Maybe the problem is in the Apple store (maybe because of the worm that ate a part of the apple? Sorry, bad joke ;) ). If I recall correctly, the Heroes are actually bought, as the e.g. Armored Valeros package "includes the base character" (a big banner on the right). That means you are buying Armored Valeros (skin 2) as well as the original Valeros (skin 1).

Your experience with bugs is something we all experienced (but there were many more bugs). The main reason is the enormous complexity of the game and interactions. I do not know how many specific cards there are, but estimate {400 (base game) + 7 * 110 cards (expansions)} divided by 3 (an estimated number of identical cards including blessings) is ~ 400. Some of them are Heroes (multiple powers and combinations) or Locations. And that does not include the expansions and treasure cards. The number of interaction is, therefore, extremely huge. I don't like some bugs, but in general enjoy the game despite them because it is a very faithful (and much faster) representation of the tabletop game. I would strongly object to calling this game a "barely functional" product. Unless you are playing brand-new adventure (Valeros, Goblins), most of the bugs were already hunted down by the developers (creating some new bugs in the process, they are only human).

Many of the bugs may be solved by Vault-Return-Trip as you found out by yourself. That is your best friend in case of a bug. Sometimes it is not enough and you have to forfeit. But still, that is a more preferable option than a true game-crashing bug that does not enable you to even forfeit! If the developers did not fix it, do not use the move-cloak to move to a Temple. Just a hint. ;)

Recently, my Merisiel and Kyra (somewhat optimized, up to AD6 completion) disappeared and I lost their progress. Did it make me sad? Somewhat, but they were affected by a beneficial bug (1 card feat more, scenario 6-1) and I wanted to replay the game with new versions to fix it. OK, so now they teamed up with Tontelizi and I enjoy the game anew.