Audio: optical to analog

LadyCrimson

Quick question: the 4k tv I bought has no analog audio out jack, so I can't plug in the set of PC speakers I was using (single analog plug, not two L-R plugs). TV only has an optical/digital jack (squarish shape, Toslink?). TV's sound is actually not the worst but still want to use the speakers since they have more bass ability. PS4-Pro also has no analog out only optical/digital.

I assume what I need/want is something like this then?

https://www.amazon.com/Easyday-Digital-Coaxial-Toslink-Converter/dp/B00S5RF8XY/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1513635224&sr=8-16&keywords=optical+audio+analog+converter

...or is that the wrong thing. Most seem to be for the L-R stereo system setup vs. a single audio plug.

Or do I just need to give in and buy optical/digital speakers...if I can find some, seems like pc style didn't make many of those and I don't want another soundbar in this room, too much space and don't need a remote.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That should be fine. You can probably get a model which has a 1/8" analogue output but it's just as easy to find an RCA to 1/8" stereo cable. (3.5mm or 1/8" is the same thing)

This one comes with a Toslink cable to save a few bucks. Then get a simple RCA to 1/8" cable or adapter.

EDIT: "Digital" speakers aren't a thing, there may be powered speakers that accept a digital signal but it just means they have a DAC (digital-analogue converter, which range in price from these $10 ones to thousands) and amp built in. I'd be a bit dubious about something like that and would instead go with a separate box that contains both a DAC and amp (like the Topping VX2 or SMSL Q5 Pro) and buy a good pair of bookshelf speakers.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G