New party member constantly attacks team

Answermancer

Question

I made a new generic party member (Crusader: Shieldbearer/Unbroken) at the start of the game and started clearing the starting island.

In several fights now, the new Crusader randomly switched targets and most annoyingly of all seems to constantly switch to attacking Mercenary Wizard or another party member.

He is not in any way controlled or dominated. His circle remains green and I can tell him to attack and enemy again, but eventually he seems to switch back to attacking party members. Little dwarven ****!

I have him set to Aggressive with both slots above set to Paladin (Cautious) and Fighter (Cautious), the setting for which is chosen doesn't seem to matter, I tried both List order and Random and both had the issue.

3 answers to this question

It looks like you're running into one of our known AI issues. One of our programmers is currently looking at this bug, and hopefully we will have it addressed for the next update. In the short term, the only way around this issue is to not assign any Behaviors to your party members. :/

To give you some idea of what's going on - each of the Behaviors you select for your party is a list of abilities they can perform, with conditions for when they'll perform them, and targeting guidelines for who they should use those abilities on.

Those behaviors include higher Power Level abilities that aren't available in the Backer Beta. Right now, when the AI reaches one of those entries in the list, it can't find the ability. The bug is that, rather than discarding the entry, it treats it like a basic weapon attack. It then looks at the targeting information for that ability, and performs a weapon attack against whoever that ability should have been used against.

This is all fine, as long as it's picking combat abilities that should be used against enemies. Unfortunately, it's also doing this for abilities that would be self-targeted, or used to aid an ally. So, rather than using a healing spell on a low-health party member, they attack them. Or, rather than placing a buff on themself, they'll bash their own face in with a club.

Super helpful, and exactly the behavior you're looking for, I'm sure!  :no:

• Like 3

Just curious In Pillars of Eternity 1 when a battle was coming My party would not move at all until I gave specific commands. I sometimes like the enemy to get really close. But in Pillars of Eternity 2 they run ahead even after I setup the locations . Is this the same problem as above or is it different. Because I dont like my party to go off like what I just said here which is what they do

With a Phaser or a Lightsaber it doesnt matter to me