For some reason I like to play characters with low Perception(5-6). While such characters keep being useful and viable on POTD, most character concepts emphasize at least average(~10) Perception due to high monster defenses and the need to punch through them with abilities, which sometimes might be critical to winning a fight. This especially applies to tough bossfights. I've started considering what type of builds aren't heavily handicapped by low Perception, and get a good benefit out of other attributes. I'll note what thoughts I had class-by-class, but primarily I'd like some feedback, suggestions and builds from you.

Class-by-class comparison:

TIER A - plays normally/almost normally:

ROGUE - with it's high base accuracy, modal bonuses and hit-to-crit conversion, rogue seems to be one of the most promising classes. Even with Perception set at ~5, he would retain the ability to succesfully land most of the hits and keep his high damage output. Other high scores will benefit Rogue damage, survivability or controlling possibilities.

FIGHTER - High base accuracy, graze-to-hit conversion, temporary Accuracy boosts. Fighter too looks like a class with potential to play normally without good Perception score. 

RANGER - High base accuracy, plenty of bonuses to Accuracy from modals and animal companion. Probably a melee ranger focused on working together with his pet would be a good bet for a low-Perception build, with spare points boosting the tankiness.

TIER B - easily conceivable builds working around the low Perception:

MONK - While the base accuracy of the class seems good enough to let him hitting hard even in bossfights, low perception affects the reliability of monk's debuffs and status-inflicting abilities.

CHANTER - party-buffing chanter should be perfectly all right, but his already poor damage output will get even lower. Also, very good invocations, like the paralysation/charm/, and very good phrases, like Dragon Trashed, get nerfed.

PALADIN - tankiness and support role are fully utilized, at the cost of offensive abilities and damage. But a Paladin doesn't have to be focused on damage in the first place.

TIER C - severly handicapped with no easy way out:

PRIEST/DRUID - both on this classes can easily focus on buffing the party and stay perfectly effective. However, with their brilliant spells and debuffs nerfed, especially in the tough fights, low Perception dimnishes their universality and usefullnes.

WIZARD - offensive class with spells which landing are more often than not critical to win a bossfight.

CIPHER - you really want this guy to build focus as fast as possible. Then, you want him to hit with the spells. Low-Perception seems like a no-go.

BARBARIAN - Barbarian has medium base accuracy. Carnage has even lower. The class bonuses to accuracy are sparse. Lowering the Accuracy seems like a way to make your game tedious and not-fun.

Edited by Baron Pampa

For some reason I like to play characters with low Perception(5-6). While such characters keep being useful and viable on POTD, most character concepts emphasize at least average(~10) Perception due to high monster defenses and the need to punch through them with abilities, which sometimes might be critical to winning a fight. This especially applies to tough bossfights. I've started considering what type of builds aren't heavily handicapped by low Perception, and get a good benefit out of other attributes. I'll note what thoughts I had class-by-class, but primarily I'd like some feedback, suggestions and builds from you.

Class-by-class comparison:

TIER A - plays normally/almost normally:

ROGUE - with it's high base accuracy, modal bonuses and hit-to-crit conversion, rogue seems to be one of the most promising classes. Even with Perception set at ~5, he would retain the ability to succesfully land most of the hits and keep his high damage output. Other high scores will benefit Rogue damage, survivability or controlling possibilities.

FIGHTER - High base accuracy, graze-to-hit conversion, temporary Accuracy boosts. Fighter too looks like a class with potential to play normally without good Perception score. 

RANGER - High base accuracy, plenty of bonuses to Accuracy from modals and animal companion. Probably a melee ranger focused on working together with his pet would be a good bet for a low-Perception build, with spare points boosting the tankiness.

TIER B - easily conceivable builds working around the low Perception:

MONK - While the base accuracy of the class seems good enough to let him hitting hard even in bossfights, low perception affects the reliability of monk's debuffs and status-inflicting abilities.

CHANTER - party-buffing chanter should be perfectly all right, but his already poor damage output will get even lower. Also, very good invocations, like the paralysation/charm/, and very good phrases, like Dragon Trashed, get nerfed.

PALADIN - tankiness and support role are fully utilized, at the cost of offensive abilities and damage. But a Paladin doesn't have to be focused on damage in the first place.

TIER C - severly handicapped with no easy way out:

PRIEST/DRUID - both on this classes can easily focus on buffing the party and stay perfectly effective. However, with their brilliant spells and debuffs nerfed, especially in the tough fights, low Perception dimnishes their universality and usefullnes.

WIZARD - offensive class with spells which landing are more often than not critical to win a bossfight.

CIPHER - you really want this guy to build focus as fast as possible. Then, you want him to hit with the spells. Low-Perception seems like a no-go.

BARBARIAN - Barbarian has medium base accuracy. Carnage has even lower. The class bonuses to accuracy are sparse. Lowering the Accuracy seems like a way to make your game tedious and not-fun.

How about S-Tier?

PRIEST - Buffs do not need ACC to apply and this class has some of the best party ACC buffs in the game. Which make those tier A-C low PER more manageable.

Novice's Suffering is like it's designed for low PER because grazes do almost the same damage as crits.

Very good with barbs.

Fighter with Confident Aim and dual flails. :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Priest can be good with low perception if you focus on buffing spells only, which is easy to do since they have so many. Those do not have any accuracy roll. With the +10 accuracy class talent, they have the same base accuracy as a fighter/rogue. I think inspiring radiance can also be turned into an accuraccy buffer to with a talent too.

Most classes work with low perception (or low int, etc), just need to pick different abilities. Sure, you will miss out on some spectacular attack powers, but everything is a give and take.

Edited by Braven

I have done the flail low perception fighter before and it works good. Just use barrage before unleashing all Charges or Knockdowns. Wonder if novices suffering would be better DPS than flails.

Edited by Braven