Strange AI Behavior Since Last Patch (3.06)

StuperStar

Question

I'm experiencing an unusually high amount of what seems to be my characters' AI stopping completely in combat. Usually this means that at some point I'll notice a character has had a blank action icon for a while and is just standing in the middle of combat not attacking (doesn't seem to happen to characters actually getting hit, which makes me wonder if they've reverted to the "Defend Self" behavior) -- but occasionally, I'll tell someone to do something like drink a potion away from combat, check on them a few pauses later, and notice they've just been sitting there with the potion action icon lying to me (easily resolved by making them move an inch and then telling them to drink the potion again).

Reading the patch notes, I'd be very surprised if the patch was the actual cause of the problem, but I mention it because I coincidentally had finished a playthrough right before the patch was released and hadn't experienced any notable issues. I suspect this has something to do with the fact that this time my party includes 4 melee characters + Itumaak -- maybe if they get blocked for too long running around behind the frontline trying to get in on the action they give up?

Anyway, not a big deal, but I thought I'd report it just because the repro rate was so surprisingly high

I also just wanted to mention that I was surprised when 3.06 popped out a few days ago and, though it's a minor patch, I really appreciate that you guys haven't completely shut down support now that the sequel is in the works!

2 answers to this question

This is an old bug. I have had this same issue in the past, where a character sits there with an icon showing whatever action I told them to do but then they never do it. Typically clicking attack on an enemy and then doing the action again makes it go through.

I've seen such behavior too. I suspect it's a pathfinding related bug, because it often happens when character is issued an order, but can't get close enough to an enemy to complete it. After some time of running around aimlessly, character aborts and order and stands still, even though AI is set to 'Aggressive'. This bug is not 100% reproducible, so I guess there are more circumstances in play.