Hi guys, just two quick questions regarding Sacred Immolation. When activated by my pally, should there be an icon appearing next to his portrait that shows that the ability is active, like when Pallegina activates Vielo Vidorio with FoD? And second, scion of flame doesn't seem to affect Sacred Immolation on the character sheet, how would I check if it's actually affecting it in battle?

Hiho! :)

There's no special icon or anything. You can see that it'S active because there's a ring of deadly fire emanating from your paladin every few seconds.

You can only check if Scion of Flame works with Sacred Immolation (it does, so no worries) if you watch Sacred Immolation's damage in the combat log and see if there are hits which roll higher damage numbers as they are supposed to. For example:

Sacred Immolation should do 20-30 burn damage per hit (just exemplary numbers). Now the hits (not crits) in the combat log should not extend 30 burn damage (pre DR).

Now if you take Scion of Flame you should be able to see hit rolls that do more - up to 36. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Scion of Flame is always a good pick fora paladin who uses any kind of burn damage - even if you don't have Sacred Immolation yet. Flames of Devotion and also Intense Flames as well as your weapon's burning lash will get boosted by it. So instead of having +50% + 25% +25% burning lashes with FoD you will have +60% + 30% + 30%. This will often result in higher burn damage than physical damage with FoD and is awesome.

Edited by Boeroer

Ha that's great, stacking damage on FoD for alpha strikes sounds like a good way to deal with annoying casters before switching to sword and board! Another question Boeroer, if you don't mind. Does spelltongue influence the durations of sacred immolation, CG from shod in faith, and frenzy from sanguine? I was thinking of lowering resolve on my paladin to increase INT and per for immolation and wanted to take advantage of the increased critical hits he would take.

Frenzy does indeed get influenced by Spelltongue. Shod-in-Faith boot's Consecrated Ground gets prolonged, too. Lay on Hands the same. All buffs and heal with fixed durations that I tested work with it, including potions, drugs and scrolls. I didn't test food because it has enormous duration anyways.

I did a lot of testing with a barbarian + spelltongue: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83388-class-build-the-leech-barbarian-time-bandit-tank/

I didn't test Sacred Immolation though and I can't say if it will get influenced. It has a fixed duration, but at the same time it's also weird because - as you already noticed - it doesn't show up in the UI and seems to be coded differently than the usual buffs. You will have to try out for yourself I'm afraid. My guess is that it works.

If you use Sanguine Plate and use high MIG and INT you could think about using Veteran's Recovery as well (spelltongue works here as well). Most of the time I then can skip Lay on Hands - or use that as emergency button only. Since it's difficult to determine your endurance while Frenzy is on and when to use LoH, Veteran's Recovery can help a lot to keep you alive without watching at the green/orange/red question marks of your frenzied paladin's concealed endurance all the time.

Just note that most of the time you will not be able to attack fast enough to prolong your buffs endlessly like a barbarian can do. Because paladins don't have carnage they only hit one enemy at a time with spelltongue. You would have to attack with very high speed in order to accomplish endless extension of your buffs. But nevertheless it prolongs the buffs and that's great.

It works a lot better on enemies who are buffed! Then the durations you leech will be bigger than from those who don't have buffs. You will still leech duration from those, but a lot less. You can use this and charm enemies, buff them with some minor buff and when they turn back hostile you can leech the buff from them. ;)

Edited by Boeroer