First POTD run-- also question about stronghold turns

Hey everyone,  I've been reading these forums for a long time now, but am finally getting ready for my first playthrough of the game on the Path of the damned difficulty. I'm looking forward to the challenge, but I need some help with strategies and understanding some of the deeper mechanics of the game. I'm planning on Running a basic 6-man party, with my main character taking the role of AoE DPS. I was thinking about either wizard or druid-- mainly because of my familiarity with how they work and what the best gear for them is. 

My first question is, what works better on POTD as a pure AoE damage dealer, a wizard or a druid?

Second, how exactly are stronghold turns calculated- I remember seeing a discussion about this in an earlier thread, but I can't seem to find it. Is it based off of progression in the main questline, or does it also progress based on the completion of tasks and side quests?

Thanks for the input, and  I'm really looking forward to becoming a more active member of this community!

For AoE damage I would say wizard. He not only has a higher number of spells from which you can pick your preferred damaging spells - he also can get two rings of wizardry for more spells per rest and he can have blast which is an AoE attack itself. Works like a charm with Kalakoth's Minor Blights if you want to spare spells in trash encounters. Add Combusting Wounds to that and melt even tough mobs with only two spells.

You can even deal really high AoE damage in melee with Citzal's Spirit Lance. It's only one spell and you can whipe whole groups with it quickly. I recently played a solo Lance wizard on PoTD, it's very effective.

Druid has nice spells, too. Most of his damaging AoE spells also cause powerful afflictions, which is great.

But he hasn't the spell variety of a wizard and he can't use "spell saving tactics" to cause AoE damage like the wizard can. Shapeshifting is very powerful, but it's not AoE.

To be honest, I would bring both. And a priest. ;)

Stronghold turns happen when you advance in a quest. Doesn't matter which one.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Stronghold turns happen when you advance in a quest. Doesn't matter which one.

I believe (though I might very well be mistaken) that different quests advance different numbers of turns, with bigger quests and storyline quests advancing multiple turns whilst small tasks like Aufra's potion in Gilded Vale only advancing one turn. If this is the case I have no idea what the various rates are though.

If you want a challenge, head to Caed Nua early on and kill Maerwald. In my current game I was level 3/4 by the time I'd killed Maewald and taken Caed Nua. You can them immediately build the Throne Room (or whatever the upgrade that gives you visitors and quests is called) and thus maximise the number you get (since you'll have loads of quests remaining to do).

On a related note, does anyone know what upgrades are required to get Azzuro to visit? Is it just the visitors upgrade or do you need something else? I haven't seen him yet, though it's still early in my game.

You just have to be lucky, visitors are random encounter and are related to your Prestige ( i think there are "categories" of visitors , if you have low Prestige you will get nyr or garolf the drunk, High Prestige should get you azzurro and the nobles.) This would explained why you get always the "same" visitors in different stage of the game, i start always with the drunk or nyr and get azzurro super late game usually

Edit: so for maximize them is better to go up with Prestige ASAP. Also they are not only (?) Turn related but also just time related, so you can Travel between cilan lis and drywood Village to make time run fast, build your stronghold and have High chance to get visitors.

Edited by Dr <3