Save Game Files Disappearing?

Alaska_Wolf

Question

I am having a game shattering problem that has now occurred twice in two attempted games.  The first time it happened, I assumed I had done something wrong.  I saved the game and exited, but when I went to continue both the Load and Continue options were greyed out and starting a new game was the only option I had.  Fortunately I was not far into the game.

Today it happened yet again.  This time my characters were Lvl 12, I had completed most of the major and minor quests/tasks and all of the companion quests (except for Trials of Durance which appears to be bugged as I can't get any further responses out of him even after Council of Stars).  I saved my game and exited, but when I came back to finish White Marches the Load and Continue options were greyed out once again.  I immediately checked the Users/MY_USER_NAME/Saved Games/Pillars of Eternity folder which was completely empty (and no there were no hidden files), except for a 2.0 Save Games Backup folder which was also empty.  The \Pillars of Eternity folder Date modified showed a date/time stamp of 12/27/2016 2:33 PM; the exact time I saved my progress and exited.

I started a system wide files search using the 12/27/2016 2:33 PM date/time stamp and had a couple of folders pop.  The first contained a folder /Current Game which was in Users/MY_USER_NAME/AppData/LocalLow/Obsidian Entertainment/Pillars of Eternity but had the exact date/time stamp.

The second folder, Users/MY_USER_NAME/AppData/Local/Temp/Obsidian Entertainment/Pillars of Eternity contained /TempSaveDate and /loadedSave folders that appear to contain save information from the previous save at 2:09 PM and going all the way back to the start of the game.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening, or if there is a way to reconstruct 80+ hours of save data from the files I still have?  Having the same problem occur twice is not making me at all desirious of restarting the game a third time; especially when I can find no clue as to what is going wrong.   

I am running the latest GOG 2.130.18 version with White Marches I and II installed on Windows 10 x64 Professional.

DxDiag.txt

• Like 2

3 answers to this question

Thank you for the reply, but as I stated "I immediately checked the Users/MY_USER_NAME/Saved Games/Pillars of Eternity folder which was completely empty (and no there were no hidden files), except for a 2.0 Save Games Backup folder which was also empty.  The \Pillars of Eternity folder Date modified showed a date/time stamp of 12/27/2016 2:33 PM; the exact time I saved my progress and exited."  There is NOTHING in my Saved Games folder, it has no output.log file, no corrupt or uncorrupt saved game files, nothing.  THAT is my problem, there is nothing to review, nothing to delete, there is nothing.