[1.1.5.1] Alu-Demon Sister at the Temple

mccrispy

Question

OK, there's something really screwy going on at the Temple! First it was Harpy Monks that caused much strangeness (see here and here) and now it's Alu-Demon Sisters.

Device: BlueStacks emulator

PACG build: 1.1.5.1 (704)

Pass & Play: OFF

Permadeath: OFF

Mode: Story

Party Members: Seelah, Kyra, Valeros, Merisiel, Sajan, Ezren

Turn Order: per party

Scenario: 5.3

Difficulty: Normal

Wildcards: none

Trigger: Alu-Demon Sister

So here's what happened: It was the first round of the Scenario. Kyra and Lem were at the Temple. Kyra encountered a Blessing of the Gods, which she discarded to Explore again; she encountered a Blessing of Lamashtu, which she then Recharged to Explore again (BoL being the current Blessing). Now she Encountered a Alu-Demon Sister.

She played her Flaming Mace +1 for D6+5 + 2D8 (she has Enemy Lore: Outsider. Ezren (at the Academy) passed his Check to allow him to cast Swipe (pretty nearly my favourite spell so far!) to reduce the check from 17 to 14. The dice changed to D6+5 + 1D8! So I did a VRT in the hope that would give me my D8 back.

When I got back to the game it was Ezren's Turn and he was rolling a D4 vs a Mirror Image Combat Check. WTF? To make it more weird he doesn't have Mirror Image (it never works - at least it's so unreliable that none of my casters use it, success rates being well below 25%) and he hadn't encountered anything yet, so why would he be doing damage resolution anyway?

In the attached screenies you can see that Ezren is current character, Blessings are at 28 (but Ezren is character 5 of 6). You can also see that Ezren has several combat spells that are available for play - note that Scorching Ray doesn't work against the ADS as she's immune to fire. Note that Kyra's Mace is no longer in play and that her Holy Light is not available for play.

So what the heck is going on?

post-163870-0-04944200-1479559701_thumb.jpg post-163870-0-81624000-1479559719_thumb.jpg

Edited by mccrispy

6 answers to this question

Now I've cancelled the Scorching Ray and the check changes to an Arcane 6 Check for Mirror Image.

post-163870-0-79124000-1479560199_thumb.jpg

Ezren went on to pass the check (but he didn't acquire a Mirror Image) and be offered an Explore after his Eldritch Exuberance animation. Look what happens when he Explores!

post-163870-0-71313100-1479560419_thumb.jpg

Yep, he's making an Arcane 6 check against Mirror Image while the card he Encountered is being displayed face down.

Crazy!!!

So, just for LOLs let's see what happens next

post-163870-0-03897900-1479560543_thumb.jpg

Yup, he acquired a Mirror Image - only no Eldritch Exuberance triggers. Hopefully the game has got itself sorted out now.

Edited by mccrispy

OK, not quite back to normal!

After acquiring the Mirror Image and not being offered an Explore, Ezren used a Magic Spyglass to find Frost Ray, Fiery Weapon and Alu-Demon Sister at the top of his deck. He rearranged so that he could use Haste to Explore again, encounter the Frost Ray which he should acquire and then the Eldritch Exuberance would allow an encounter with the ADS that his Frost Ray would defeat.

Only once he closed the Location Deck overlay having ordered the cards, it went back to Kyra's turn! Still on 28 Blessings.

She played her Flaming Mace +1 for D6+5 + 2D8 (she has Enemy Lore: Outsider. Ezren (at the Academy) passed his Check to allow him to cast Swipe (pretty nearly my favourite spell so far!) to reduce the check from 17 to 14. The dice changed to D6+5 + 1D8! So I did a VRT in the hope that would give me my D8 back.

Everything you describe below this is some pretty crazy s*it. However, if Swipe works anything like the Wand of Ennervation - after altering the difficulty, your check should've been reset and the Mace returned to your hand, which would account for leaving you with D6+5 (barehanded Melee, I presume) + 1d8 (Outsider Lore). Any chance that was the case?

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

Nah, Swipe has always (as far as I remember - but my memory is rubbish) just reduced the Check by 3. Unlike the WoE. I think the WoE behaves the way it does because it has to reset the Check to ensure that the die roll can't exploited (though actually it can). Dunno, having written that I'm not so sure. But I suspect that there's a difference in processing a straight -3 vs a variable modifier.

But I'll check next time I play.