Faith and Conviction bonus

jtothefre

Question

Summary:

Can anyone confirm if the Faith and Conviction bonus for my paladin is (or is not) working properly?  I know the base values got nerfed slightly from 5/10/10/10 to 4/8/8/8, but did the per-disposition-rank-bonus also get nerfed? As is evident in the screenshot, both my favored dispositions are maxed and I have accrued no disfavored dispositions, so by my understanding I should get +1 deflection and +2 all other defenses for each point in Benevolent and Passionate (up to a maximum of 3 for each), so I would expect to max out at +10/20/20/20, not the +8/17/17/17 that is being displayed.

I am currently level 10 and have tried re-training my character to no avail.  I am playing with beta v3.02.1008, though the game was begun on v3.00.

Apologies if this is not a bug but misunderstanding on my part; however, I looked through the patch notes and didn't see any other changes to faith and conviction. 

post-161673-0-63818700-1458586846_thumb.png

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/85411-faith-convictions-now-still-always/

fight the power, brother.

this is one o' those "bugs" that has endured since 3.0.  has been repeated reassurances that the issue was, or would be addressed.

the thing is, am no longer certain what bonuses main character faith and convictions is 'posed to provide, but we do know that +8/+17 is inexplicable.  with base +4/+8, we can find no way to end with +8/+17 if the player has maxed dispositions.

a good starting point would be for the obsidian folks to at least tell us what post 3.0 faith and convictions bonuses should be.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The only way to arrive at +8/+17 is if we assume that each disposition rank provides a non-integer bonus.  e.g.:

2/3 (or 0.67 points) to deflection per rank, and

3/2 (or 1.5 points) to all other defenses per rank

=

(0.67) * (6) = 4 + 4base = 8 deflection

(1.5)   * (6) = 9 + 8base = 17 all other defenses

Maybe this is the new magic formula?  I loaded some previous save games where I had fewer ranks in my favored dispositions, and this seems to hold true (albeit rounded down to the nearest integer).

The only way to arrive at +8/+17 is if we assume that each disposition rank provides a non-integer bonus.  e.g.:

2/3 (or 0.67 points) to deflection per rank, and

3/2 (or 1.5 points) to all other defenses per rank

=

(0.67) * (6) = 4 + 4base = 8 deflection

(1.5)   * (6) = 9 + 8base = 17 all other defenses

Maybe this is the new magic formula?  I loaded some previous save games where I had fewer ranks in my favored dispositions, and this seems to hold true (albeit rounded down to the nearest integer).

if that is the new formulation, then Gromnir would be okie dokie with that.  as noted elsewhere, the difference 'tween +8/+17 and +10/+20 is significant but not huge. we could live with it.  however, obsidian specific mentioned that no changes to faith and convictions bonuses for main characters was intended with 3.0.  we were told that the problem (+8/+17) would be fixed.

all we really need is an explanation that makes sense.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)