Replaying PotD, an argument for custom attributes for NPCs

Having mediocre stats in all attributes prevents companions from shining in any particular role in a party with any actual synergy. 

The companions play a vital role in the story and setting of the game and thus they don't "comprehend" your power gaming stat expectations. They are simply a virtual versions of would-be characters of that specific time and space, having flaws just as everyone else in real life. Build your own adventurer party if this makes you dissatisfied.

Their attributes do not play a vital role. Also it's arguable whether or not they are vital, but I do like having the extra dialogue and there are no compelling reasons to disallow respec of their attributes.

If you can fundamentally change your player character in the same way, especially to have better early game build without being penalized later, I don't see how that's any better or worse than doing the same for the story companions.

There's nothing wrong with having combat stats just be combat stats and keeping the whole personality aspect as separate thing. I wish they would've gone that route in the first place.

Edited by Odd Hermit