[3.01]Game Freezes, Unable to Load or Start New Game Since

Gairnulf

Question

My game froze while I was changing weapons at the inventory screen. It was completely unresponsive and I had to restart via the PC reset button.

Now I can start the game, but nothing shows in the news box, and trying to load any savegame, regardless of which, results in a black screen with my PoE hand pointer and no HDD activity. Alt+F4 closes the game, and I can still alt-tab. Task Manager doesn't show it as non-responding.

My PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt shows some "TextXML Parse Failed" and "DataManager could not find field 'Display' on 'ExperienceTableData'" errors.

Trying to start a new game results in some disk activity after which I'm thrown into the Main Menu screen again.

I hope you can make something out of this and that someone will see this during the weekend original.gif

output_log.txt

Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

3 answers to this question

Hi Aarik, actually I managed to resolve this on my own last night and today.

I tried verify/repair, but it didn't change things. I then uninstalled and noticed that some directories of the game remained. When I tried to delete them manually I got an error "Error 0x80070091: The directory is not empty". I googled that error and it turned out I needed to run a ScanDisk for errors on the hard drive. My HDD is about 5 years old, so I was suspicious of it anyway.

I ran the check last night and installed the game again today. It's now working normally. I'm buying a new HDD Monday though :)

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png