PC GOG version crashes on start.

Zizifothsi

Question

I bought the GOG version of this game a couple of days ago, but every time I try to play it, it crashes. I get a black screen with a gauntleted cursor, but that's as far as it goes - no logos, no music, etc.

I've tried pretty much every fix I could find online - uninstalling, reinstalling, assorted compatibility modes, updating drivers, you name it. Nothing has worked. If I run the game in 256 colour mode, it is able to generate an error log, which it doesn't do if I try to run it normally.

My computer has never had a problem running recent games, so I don't think it's a hardware problem, but I could be wrong.

I'm kind of tearing my hair out here, can anyone help?

18 answers to this question

I've updated my graphics driver, but now I have a different issue - the game doesn't launch at all! If I open the task manager, it shows that the pillarsofeternity.exe process is running, but not the application - and I can't get an error log because of this. 

I'm still having issues I'm afraid! I completely uninstalled Pillars of Eternity, and re-downloaded and re-installed it through the GOG galaxy client. I still cannot launch the game while running the most recent nvidia driver (GeForce 358.50) - again, the task manager says that the process is running, but the application doesn't show as running.

I tried going back to an earlier version of the graphics driver (GeForce 353.30) and with that I was able to get a black screen and then an error message again. I've attached the output log from that attempt. I also have an output log from an attempt to launch the game in 256 colour mode - would this be useful? 

output_log.txt

From the logs it looks like the game is not using the nvidia card but the inten HD3000 onboard graphics card.

OpenGL:
    Version:  OpenGL 3.1 [3.1.0 - Build 9.17.10.4229]
    Renderer: Intel® HD Graphics 3000
    Vendor:   Intel
    VRAM:     880 MB (via DXGI)

Maybe you can force it to use the nvidia card?

Maybe this helps:

Edited by Aurelio

I've set it now so it always uses the nvidia card, but the game still won't launch, even in 256 colour mode (sometimes 256 colour mode lets the game generate an error log when other modes don't). I'm going to see what happens if I leave the process running in the background for a while, but otherwise I'm stumped. I'm very grateful for all the help I'm getting here though, thank you! 

Just a few ideas... if you have any codec packs installed, try to deinstall them, to see if it helps.

I also read somewhere, that running a program called "gpu meter" forced the pc to use nvidia card. Worth a try.

Maybe it helps also to uninstall the both graphic drivers first, reboot the pc and install them again. The first output_log.txt shows serious errors trying to use the graphic card and seems to use a generic driver.