DR mechanic, items with DR bonus with reference to Armor

Gs11

Question

items with DR bonus with reference to Armor

Cloak of Minor Missiles: add 5 fire/shock DR bonus ( and minor missiles ofc, but it's not the point)

Pallegina's armor base DR:10 Shock DR;none

http://imgur.com/z7pHc09

so when I give her cloak Shock DD suddelny get boost to 15- seems 10 base DR + 5 DR Shock from cloak= giving overall 15 ShockDR

when I take a look at another armor, which for exempale has 3 Shock DR and mixed with Cloak result is: 3 DR Shock from armor+5 DR Shock from cloak= 8 DR Reduction

Conclusion : better to have armor with no elemental DR, when we gonne equip some item with these bonus elemental DR-just greater boost compared to the armor with some elemental DR.

DR mechanic

character 1 :armor base 10 DR, without Shock DR and chracter 2: base armor 10 DR, Shock 6DR

i.e wizz attacks from shock spell 15 dmg:
character 1 incoming damage is calculated like: 15 Shock DMG - 10 DR=5 DMG taken
character 2 incoming damage: 15 Shock DMG - 6 Shock DR=9 DMG taken

Conlusion: either we have elemental DR higher than base DR Armor or neither elemental DR when lower than base DR. 

The rule seems to be that  elemental attack targets opponent elemental DR or just base DR of armor , when oponnent haven't  this specific elemental DR.

I would prefer system where elemental attacks  target opponent elemental DR  only when elmental DR is higher than base DR. It would be more fair.

In this situation armor with low elemental DR are pretty crap, we can boost  enchantment elemental DR ofc   but  not all of them and it's only +3 DR which could be not enough to overrun base DR.

Or it's a bug ?which woudn't  be unexpected ;p

pls check  and response how You see this this way of mechanic DR and Armor

Edited by Gs11

4 answers to this question

DR against any damage type that is not separately listed is equal to the armor's base DR.

In Pallegina's case, her armor's base DR is 10 and Shock is not listed separately, which means her armor's Shock DR is also 10.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

DR against any damage type that is not separately listed is equal to the armor's base DR.

In Pallegina's case, her armor's base DR is 10 and Shock is not listed separately, which means her armor's Shock DR is also 10.

ok it would explain   item bonus 

but still 

DR mechanic

character 1 :armor base 10 DR, without Shock DR and chracter 2: base armor 10 DR, Shock 6DR

i.e wizz attacks from shock spell 15 dmg:

character 1 incoming damage is calculated like: 15 Shock DMG - 10 DR=5 DMG taken

character 2 incoming damage: 15 Shock DMG - 6 Shock DR=9 DMG taken

Conlusion: either we have elemental DR higher than base DR Armor or neither elemental DR when lower than base DR. 

The rule seems to be that  elemental attack targets opponent elemental DR or just base DR of armor , when oponnent haven't  this specific elemental DR.

I would prefer system where elemental attacks  target opponent elemental DR  only when elmental DR is higher than base DR. It would be more fair.

In this situation armors with low elemental DR are pretty crap, we can boost  enchantment elemental DR ofc   but  not all of them and it's only +3 DR which could be not enough to overrun base DR.

So it's  better to have armor with high base DR than armor with lots of kind low elemental DR.

Edited by Gs11

I beg to differ; on the contrary, it would make very little sense.

By design, specific armors are particularly good against specific damage types, and weak against others. It is another means of differentiating armors in order to make armor selection a strategic decision. If elemental damage targeted base DR instead of elemental DR every time the former was higher than the latter, the penalty that was given to an armor's elemental DR by design would be rendered meaningless. Then why put it there at all? (It would also make no roleplaying sense for elemental damage not to target its relative elemental DR.)

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I beg to differ; on the contrary, it would make very little sense.

By design, specific armors are particularly good against specific damage types, and weak against others. It is another means of differentiating armors in order to make armor selection a strategic decision. If elemental damage targeted base DR instead of elemental DR every time the former was higher than the latter, the penalty that was given to an armor's elemental DR by design would be rendered meaningless. Then why put it there at all? (It would also make no roleplaying sense for elemental damage not to target its relative elemental DR.)

When I've loooked at that issue in this way, I have to agree, it seems to be more reliable.

Thanks for Your point of view.