Ripose ability confusing translation (french)

Radamanthe

Question

The rogue's Riposte ability description is fine in english (BTW I'll mark auto-linked words with orange color):

The rogue looks for openings to counterattack in combat. Incoming melee attacks that target Deflection and Miss have a chance of allowing an instant Full Attack Riposte. Only active with melee weapons equipped.

In french, it's very confusing:

Le bandit recherche les possibilités de contre-attaques au combat. Les attaques de mêlée qui visent la déviation et l'échec peuvent permettre une riposte instantanée lors d'une attaque maximum. Actif uniquement si le personnage est équipé d'armes de mêlée.

As a french native, the way I understood this is:

The rogue looks for openings to counterattack in combat. Incoming melee attacks that target Deflection and a miss (?) have a chance of allowing an instant riposte during a Full Attack (?). Only active with melee weapons equipped.

The first (?) is about the "miss" key word. The problem here is that "miss" in english is both a noun and a verb which is fine for the original sentence where the context implies the verb form. But the french translation here, "échec", is only a noun which BTW is why the translator added a l' (mandatory in french), but the meaning is then wrong as you can see because one cannot target a "miss". The second (?) speaks for itself and it's confusing at best in regards to game mechanics.

After reading the english version, everything became crystal clear to me. So I suggest the following french translation instead:

Le bandit recherche les possibilités de contre-attaques au combat. Les attaques de mêlée qui visent la déviation et se soldent par un échec peuvent permettre une riposte instantanée avec une attaque maximum. Actif uniquement si le personnage est équipé d'armes de mêlée.

Note that I kept the word "échec" as is in the wording to make sure the auto-link feature of the engine still works for that word. Otherwise, it could simply be "...et échouent..." instead of "...et se soldent par un échec...", but I'm quite confident that the word "échouent" (which is one of the many conjugations of the french verb "échouer", translation of the english verb "miss") would not be auto-linked at all.

I also would like to point out that this auto-link feature is often wrong, even in english (though I understand the incentives behind it to avoid some additional work in all descriptions). In this example, the "active" word should not be linked. Though the sentence is correct and accurate, when hovered by the mouse, this word pops up the tooltip about the active mechanic (which roughly means a conscious action from the player). It's out of context and even more confusing as this ability is in fact passive and doesn't require any action from the player. Ideally here, the word "active" should not be linked to a tooltip. This issue also occurs in many other contexts with other key words of the game mechanics.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet