Trials & Tribulations of getting White March on my machine...

Expansion is out YAY !! Go to Gog - purchase it start the download process:

Lets see there's Part 1 Part 2 of part 1 and look back up there is Patch 2.0

Start long process of downloading on my cheapo internet -

Part 1 first right? Hey not too bad - can I install it now? NO NO parts are missing download the other part.

Part 2 oooohhh this is much longer leave it running go take mom to hair appt grab her some lunch come home grab me some lunch oh look only another hour to go....  wait wait wait - done

OK Install now? NO NO your game is not updated acccchhhh!!! 

Download Patch 2.whatever oh goody more download time another hour or so??

Install now? NO NO your installer is not updated go download something else

Install now?? NO NO go download another thing....

OK here's the new installer but wait... it's redownloading the files I spent all morning downloading??????

The one's sitting right here on my hard drive!!

Cancel that crap lets try redownloading the windows installer for POE instead -

Oh great how long will it take to download 6.5 GB at 250 to 375 KB/s....... :banghead:

So - when is the 2.whatever patch going live for the DVD users so I can have some more fun updating my laptops DVD install too... 

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Updating the installer? What? You just download the updates and apply them. You don't need to update any installers. There are no installers to be updated, unless you're using GOG Galaxy, in which case you should complain about that (I wouldn't know).

All the patch files except for 2.0 and the White March itself are pretty small, so you should have no problem downloading them.

The GOG updaters kind of suck, but I've never experienced the trouble you have. Or been that frustrated about it.

I use GOG as well and found it to be very straightforward. I hadn't played in months, so was missing some updates. You need all the updates from where you stopped and install them in order, including hot fixes. The last one, 2.0, is huge (>1gb) but that's the only one. Then you can download and install White March.

Edited by Cottonmouth

Updating the installer? What? You just download the updates and apply them. You don't need to update any installers. There are no installers to be updated, unless you're using GOG Galaxy, in which case you should complain about that (I wouldn't know).

All the patch files except for 2.0 and the White March itself are pretty small, so you should have no problem downloading them.

The GOG updaters kind of suck, but I've never experienced the trouble you have. Or been that frustrated about it.

GOG often updates the installer package of a game once there are several patches out, and in fact this is what they've done with Pillars. Although there's no reason to DL the entire game install again, since the incremental patches are still available. So I think Wanderon must have gotten a bit confused on what needs to be DLed. I know I had to apply the 1.06 hotfix before patch 2.0 would work. After that, the expansion installed with no issue.

I thought when it said I had to update the installer that it meant the GOG installer which I did but after finally finding and updating the GOG installer (no simple matter - it's not available in plain sight anywhere) when I tried to USE the updated GOG installer to update the game it started to redownload the files I had already downloaded - at that point I assumed it was the Pillars windows installer it wanted me to update and that is still downloading as we speak (2.24gb of 6.5gb).

I am now attempting to download the two hot fixes for 106 that Ink Blot mentioned to see if THOSE are the files needed instead (as they will likely be done before the windows installers since they are only 30MB and 8MB . 

GOG often updates the installer package of a game once there are several patches out, and in fact this is what they've done with Pillars. Although there's no reason to DL the entire game install again, since the incremental patches are still available. So I think Wanderon must have gotten a bit confused on what needs to be DLed. I know I had to apply the 1.06 hotfix before patch 2.0 would work. After that, the expansion installed with no issue.

Thank you Ink Blot! It was indeed the hot fixes to 106 that I needed to install 2.0 and now the White March!

You should try Galaxy. It's a little goofy at first and you really need to turn off the auto-updates (not that they work at the moment anyway) for games you want to use mods or fan patches with but it really keeps the updates and installation bonanza down to one click.

Oh, yeah, and... Pillars of Eternity now supports Galaxy achievements. Now they do that, now that it's totally not clear yet whether TCS is doable in 2.0 or not. Bah! :(

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.