Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Suggestion] More Control Over Dialogue Progression

dialogue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

icer22x

icer22x

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts

When talking to NPCs in PoE, there are two types of dialogue.

1. Bold white text to signify spoken words.

2. Grey text to signify emotions, mannerisms, expressions, etc.

Problem: Many times the grey text is so long that I either have to read it while trying to listen to the spoken words (difficult and not immersive), or pay attention to the spoken words and go back and read the grey text (pointless because dialogue is chronological and those actions would have already taken place). It makes it difficult to really imagine the character's motives and intentions.

Solution: I think it would benefit the story AND the game play if we had the option to manually advance the dialogue. Specifically, spoken dialogue would not automatically trigger after grey text until the player chose it to. This would give us time to read the expressions of the NPC and allow us to better imagine the nature of the character's emotions before the words were spoken.

• Palmtuna, Silent Winter and tinysalamander like this

Derek M

Derek M

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Moving your thread to General Discussion as it is not applicable in Technical Support.

Palmtuna

Palmtuna

Quartermaster of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I feel your pain and I would fully support this idea.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dialogue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users