While there are many things I love about this game, the lack of party AI is a bit frustrating. Mainly because while I do love ordering everybody around with micromanagement on the interesting fights, sometimes I'd like some autopilot for the trash mobs. 

They won't even defend themselves when attacked. Unless you tell them to. 

Yes, I know, they will all attack if you simply "select party" and "click on enemy". It's how I dealt with most trash-mobs. But otherwise, won't act independently, if you don't order them to do stuff individually. Certainly won't use any spells or special abilities. 

It would be cool to set tactics for your party members that they will act on independent of player orders/commands; of course, player orders should supersede their tactics if given. 

At a minimum, it would be nice to set each NPC's AI to either "aggressive" (attack everything in sight) or "defensive" (retaliate when attacked), although of course it would be nicer to have more options than those two. 

This was something that was in the first 2 DA games, although seems to have mostly been cut from the third. 

Yeah, i was kinda missing out on the default scripts in the record section, like we had in the infinity engine games.

So far though, it's only a minor issue - in some of the IE games the scripts were so terrible i usually opted not to use them at all anyway.

For example, in Icewind Dale 2, where the default generic fighter script made your characters backtrack to the rest of your party regardless what enemies/traps they had to wade through as soon as you deselected them.. made it virtually impossible to scout out the map with a thief/ranger with it on... :(

xosmi.gif

There is an option under configuration to make party members defend themselves when attacked. But, alas, it doesn't work too well. Sometimes it doesn't trigger at all.

If you're talking about "auto-attack while idle", it does nothing on or off.

Yes. That's the one.