Enemies and Fog of War Respawn at cleared areas

AmazingKitsune

Question

So I am a little ways into Pillars of Eternity and generally having a great time.  In the Main Quest, I am still doing "The Man Who Waits" and "Through Death's Gate"

In older areas, enemies and maps have respawned on a few occasions.  I've noticed it happen in the Catacombs in Defiance Bay, the early levels of the Endless Path of Od Nua, the Black Meadows, and the long place on the road where you meet Sagani.  It may occur in more ares, but I haven't seen yet.

The fog of war respawns as well as enemeies, treasure chests of all types, and even certain story elements--I am currently killing Maerwald for the second time.  If you try to grab the soul again to reexperience the story--it doesn't work.  However, you do see the hallucinations of the souls and hear them talking all over again, this was particularly notable at Od Nua. 

Edit: I finished killing Maerwald again and I can even gain a second perk if I choose to.  I am not certain if it stacks or actually adds on, though

Edited by AmazingKitsune

15 answers to this question

Here is a link to a dropbox with my save file.  I'm at my manor.  You can go to several earlier areas and see that the fog of war is back and the enemies are back.  You can even go kill Maerwald if you'd like.

Edit: I just added the correct save file.  Earlier I had added a much older save file from Act 1.  The problem first manifested itself in Act 2.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/awpqaxe7etw3oc0/5b9c8ebe837a48f1b1c8861cac999821%2012026435%20Brighthollow.savegame?dl=0

Edited by AmazingKitsune

I also just found out if I go back to the very first area on the world map--where the machine is first activated that "awakens" the Watcher--the NPCs are all back standing in their spots and the machine is off--waiting to be turned on.  I cannot fight them or interact with them in any way.  If I walk towards the cave, the game freezes and crashes at about the place where the cutscene would have been triggered, I think.

I don't know anything about it, but I think all of this must have been triggered after I finished a quest of some sort.  Because it's not like areas keep respawning--just areas I completed after a certain point.  What that point is, I'm not sure yet.  I first noticed this when I was taking part in the Parable of Wael task...  That may be unrelated, though.  It may have been a quest I completed before that, like The Undying Heritage.

Im experiencing a simular problem. It happend somewhere in act 2 when i went back to my Stronghold, i suddenly got the ghost at the front of the keep door screaming about the fire, wich occurs when you first enter. The door to dungeon below is now locked, tells me i need a key ,and the Steward does not talk,even though the Keep functions in the menu still work. The game works fine in areas i have not been in yet, but when i go to an already visited area it resets parts, but not all of it. In Raedric's stronghold, the black fog is back, the guards are not hostile but all the door that were open before need to be re opened and lock picked and Raedric, who i killed, is sitting on the throne but i cant interact with him -_-. I really hope i can finish my first playtrough of this game this way, as it hasnt blocked my path yet, but i fear for the worsed if i have to go back to the Raedric's at some point of the story.

I have this bug too. I guess for me the bug occured after I did some stuff in the endless path lv 13. Or it has to to something with the main quest? Currently I am at the quest: "The Hermit of Hadret house".

On all levels from the endless path the monster and the fog respawned. Other areas like Valewood, black meadow are totally affected too. And my steward also don't talk to me anymore. I also get the developer commentary again if I enter my stronghold. I also can repeat some quests and events again.

I think it may have happened to me around the time of "The Hermit of Hadret House"

Most likely a quest or so before that, though.  If memory serves.

I mean, it's approximately the same time as I experienced.  I went in a straight line for a while in Defiance Bay, so I'm not certain when it started.  I don't think it has anything to do with the Endless Path, because I didn't mess with it much and wasn't as deep as Boooo.

Edited by AmazingKitsune

Was there ever a fix for this, I'm having it now. It started at the beginning of Act 3, wasn't really a problem just a nuisance, until I tried to return to Heritage Hill for the Arcanist Ysly bounty, and the gate is locked and it says I need the key to open it, talking to Wyla again does nothing.

Bumping to report this bug is still present as of today. All areas reset. Pretty ridiculous that this game breaking bug is still here after a year...

It just happened on my game too completely breaking it.

I stopped playing this game 1 year ago hoping to get back when I could finally play it without game-breaking bugs but it looks like I'll never be able to.

You could still be in luck. If it just happened you'll only need to reload a save not from your last session.

(also disable the companions auto-level up to prevent a different bug).

Developer explanation:

There are a few known issues dealing with this. The main one is caused by accessing the same save in two different copies of Pillars. Did you ever have two versions of Pillars running at the same time?

- Sking

accessing the save folder twice at the same time will corrupt the current save.

I've come to burn your kingdom down

Developer explanation:

There are a few known issues dealing with this. The main one is caused by accessing the same save in two different copies of Pillars. Did you ever have two versions of Pillars running at the same time?

- Sking

accessing the save folder twice at the same time will corrupt the current save.

I never had two different copies of the game installed, something else must be causing this issue and not even knowing how to avoid it is kinda frustrating.

Btw, I found a not corrupted save, but it's like 20 hours behind... :(