How much in terms of Lore/Story/Content will I lose by not recruiting Companions?

I find Durance to be really annoying, RP-wise.  He's preachy and holier-than-thou and at the same time he's such a naive moron.  And whore this whore that, god it gets old fast.  And the ET thing with his staff is just embarrassing.  I haven't completed his quest yet so can't comment on that 100%, but it's kinda boring so far.

I felt exactly the same way about Durance until I got more into his story and understood more about the history of the Godhammer and the wars. Now I'm glad I put up with him, but I don't actually like hanging out with him. I'm into Act III now and feel like I'm finally getting a grasp on the various gods and factions. I don't think the game would be as immersive if I hadn't brought any of the companions with me.

I'm more interested in story than combat, so for me, it's important that companions are part of and contribute to the world in which the story takes place. 

Hmm ok, well I'm just about getting to that point so I'll bear that in mind!

"He is useful in combat" sounds like a good roleplaying justification.

Equally, Durance has a mysterious past. Is your character not in the least curious?

I'm not the LEAST bit curious. In fact, I don't think I could be LESS curious.

I just escaped a town with a giant murder tree on display with two new friends who were both about to be murdered by the town residents. I want nothing more to put some road between my new pals and some dude next to a burning statue who rants about gods.