Monks and lightning strike bug?

James Harrison

Question

Simply when using swift strikes and lightning strikes the amount of damage dealt as shock damage seems lower than 10%... e.g. 14 damage dealt (rounded), looking this up it seems it was split 13.5 physical and 0.4 shock damage... 

0.4 is 10% of 4 damage... not 10% of 13.5... there seems to be some error in the maths somewhere.

2 answers to this question

Yep, this talent is borked at the moment. The way it should work is that you get 10% extra shock damage from whatever your damage roll was (before DR), and then that shock damage goes up against 1/10 of the enemy's shock DR. That would put it in line with the lash enchantments, which do the same thing except they go up against 1/4 of the relevant DR (being 25% extra damage, it makes sense).

I think I remember reading that this talent's extra damage goes up against 1/4 of their shock DR instead of the proper 1/10. That would help explain the low numbers. So you might watch for that if you're in a testing mood.

Either way, this needs to be fixed. I used IE mod to remove this talent and give my monk a different one for now. Don't even feel bad about it neither. :p

Simply when using swift strikes and lightning strikes the amount of damage dealt as shock damage seems lower than 10%... e.g. 14 damage dealt (rounded), looking this up it seems it was split 13.5 physical and 0.4 shock damage... 

0.4 is 10% of 4 damage... not 10% of 13.5... there seems to be some error in the maths somewhere.

The bug is caused by how all secondary damage is calculated:

It's reducing the 10% bonus shock damage using 25% of the target's shock DR instead of just 10% of its shock DR.

On the flip side, the bug should work to the advantage of abilities that give more than 25% of secondary damage.

Same thing happens with torches, which is +10% burn damage -- the damage is still reduced by 1/4 DR instead of 1/10, making torches garbage weapons.

Maybe calling it a bug is being too generous.  It just looks more like a coding mistake.

Edited by Daemonjax