Auto-Pause on Weapon Ineffective: Confusing? Bugged?

Giolon

Question

POE has a Gameplay option named similarly to an old Infinity Engine one: Auto-pause on Weapon Ineffective.

The purpose of this gameplay feature has historically been to let you know when the weapon you're using to attack your target is ineffective, whether due to innate damage reduction, protection spells, or your weapon broke among others.

In POE, I enabled this option because it's useful information to be alerted to, and I was confused because it was going off all the time from my very first combat encounter - nearly every round in combat with: Auto-pause: Weapon ineffective (your character name).  My character's a fighter and came with a sword and I was thinking, "Are they really throwing enemies that are highly resistant to swords this early in the game?!  They're just bandits!".

A little later on when I was fighting a single young wolf, I paid special attention to what was going on.  I finally noticed that it was only auto-pausing with the weapon ineffective message every time *I* was hit by the enemy.  It's pausing to alert me that the enemy's weapon is ineffective on me.

If it's intentional, this seems completely backwards and broken compared to previous implementations of the feature and for it to have any use in this game.

(I posted this in general and it was suggested that I post it here in the tech support forums.)

Edited by Giolon
  • Like 1

~Giolon~

5 answers to this question

Hey Giolon,

I've been looking into this issue on our end and that is in fact the case. Enemies shouldn't be triggering the Auto-Pause option. I've put the bug into our database and we will look into fixing it for an upcoming update.

Keep up the good work citizen

Hi, I'd like to add that this "inverse" behaviour is happening also with the "Character hit" and "Spell Cast" auto pause options.

When I check "Character hit", the related autopause always triggers exactly after one of my characters hits an enemy, instead of triggering when an enemy hits one of my characters.

And when I check "Spell Cast" and I cast a spell, the related autopause triggers in response to my casting, and according to the tooltip, it should trigger when an enemy begins casting an spell, not the player.

I've checked the rest of the autopause options and those three (Weapon ineffective, Character hit and Spell cast) are the ones I have found behaving "backwards". I haven't experienced the "Extraordinary defense" situation yet, so that's the only one I haven't checked yet.

Seperate but related bug, the ineffective weapon pause (and dialogue) can be triggered by anything that doesn't do significant damage, like healing & defensive spells.  Lay on hands, 'Weapon ineffective!'  Mage armor (equivilant, whose name I don't yet remember), 'Weapon ineffective!'

• Like 1

Hey I know we already posted this but I felt like taking a screenshot after the 1.03 update fixed the autopause "Character Hit",  just to be sure there's awareness about the other autopause bugs (I use autopause a lot and I wouldn't like these bugs to be forgotten) .

As it can be seen in the combat log, "Weapon Ineffective" is still triggered by the enemy wolf making 1.0 damage on my character, and "Spell cast" is also still triggered by my character when he begins casting the spell of the preorder ring (should be triggered only by enemy casting, according to tooltip). So for those two options the behaviour is still backwards.

6pu3mip.jpg

Edited by pedroantonio

I hate to bump this thread (really, I don't want to be a pain in the ass).

But I'd like to have some confirmation that, now that the character hit autopause bug has been fixed, the spell cast autopause bug has been added to the bug database along with the weapon ineffectiive one. Just so I can rest assured that they are known and in the list to be fixed eventually.