Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Other Companions in Conversations?

party members dialogue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Is there any way to be able to have the other party members talk to someone, in order to utilize their stats in conversation?

I tried this once but it reverted back to my PC talking.

MasterPrudent

MasterPrudent

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Not as far as I know. They speak up from time to time to share their opinion but your main PC does most of the talking.

Edited by MasterPrudent, 26 March 2015 - 11:41 PM.

Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 899 posts

Nope. Only the PC will do the talk, hence why you should select your skills with the dialogues in mind (lore!).

For the scripted intermissions, it's a different story.

Edited by Zwiebelchen, 26 March 2015 - 11:42 PM.

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, Intermissions are fine. So, you know, that's kind of a lame design decision. I think that's actually the first really big thing I'll actually make a fuss about for change going on in the future. The cons for this type of system far outweigh the pros.

Edited by Bryy, 26 March 2015 - 11:55 PM.

BrokenMask

BrokenMask

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Umm, why? It'd be boring if all companions would talk in same blank slate-ish way PC does and there is no way they could write dialog for all possible characters talking to all possible npcs. Espicially ones like Durance who don't talk normally ever.

Heck, there aren't CRPGs were you can have companions do conversation checks <_< At most you have Icewind Dale where you can use any of your created pcs at conversations

Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 899 posts

Yeah, Intermissions are fine. So, you know, that's kind of a lame design decision. I think that's actually the first really big thing I'll actually make a fuss about for change going on in the future. The cons for this type of system far outweigh the pros.

It's a balancing decision. If you could freely select who can talk to the NPC, you could basicly just get rid of the skills in general, as you will always have someone with the appropriate skill in your party.

It's fine the way it is, imho. At least it feels like your PC skill choice really matters in the game. I just wish there were more mechanics or survival checks in dialogues. So far, the only skills worth getting for the PC are athletics and lore, as those have the most dialogue choices.

Edited by Zwiebelchen, 27 March 2015 - 12:30 AM.

• Lychnidos likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: party members, dialogue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users