Serious bugs in the Linux version

redmage123

Question

Hello all,

I bought the Steam version of PoE for Linux. I'm running on an Ubuntu 14.10 64 bit system with an NVidia GEForce GTX  670.

In just 20 minutes I've found a number of bugs that make the game almost unplayable...

1.  PoE won't start from the Steam "Play" button.  I had to start up a terminal session, cd to the PoE install directory and run

PoE from the command line. 

2.  Trying to do an area select paints a "green rectangle" over the area I select. 

3.  There's some sort of a transition screen, but it's effectively unreadable.  I see the first character of a word in a stylized font, but that's it. 

4. Right clicking on an item brings up a description screen which is effectively unreadable due to fonts and screen placement. 

-- redmage123

3 answers to this question

I've had similar issues - the game wouldn't start from the Steam Play button, but mine wouldn't even start if I tried to start the executable (.steam/steam/steamapps/common/PillarsOfEternity/PillarsOfEternity.exe) from the command line. Nothing happens - no window created, no error output on the command line, nada. Just terminates.

The same for me, I can't run PoE from steam - I get 

PlayerInitEngineGraphics: GPU not supported; OpenGL GLSL support is required. Your GPU (Gallium 0.4 on AMD JUNIPER) does not support it

in Player.log, although glxinfo says

OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.0

and the game runs when started from Steam/steamapps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity.

I'm on arch linux, with a GTX 970 and nvidia 346.47 and I have none of the issues you mention. (I also use the GOG version, so I cannot comment on launching from Steam)

I read about a similar issue in another thread (don't know which one, sorry), you may want to try some up-to-date PPA's with newer drivers.