IIRC the tool is a plugin for Maya that was written by Obsidian specifically for the project (don't quote me on that though).

That is ... encouraging, I guess?

At least that means there won't be any licensing issues when releasing those tools to the community. Just like Blizzard did with their ArtTools plugin for 3ds max 2011.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

Fish is correct.

To be more specific, the maps are render passes that Mental Ray (our renderer) spits out.  They require using the mia_material_x_passes shader.  Anything else won't give the proper render passes.  You need to have Albedo, Specular, WorldPos, and ViewNormal passes enabled.  Our tool does the work of getting these passes into Unity.

• Like 3

I know you guys are ultra busy right now, but maybe once the game releases, you could put together some sort of Modding "Getting Started" Guide? You know, just all the info, together, that isn't classified. Not necessarily individual step-by-step instructions a la "Then, click on 'Tools'..., then...". But, just a handy guide for stuff like this ("this" being "So you wanna make an environment, eh?"). :)

I mean, I've already seen you guys answer a lot of questions. It would just be really awesome, if possible, to get a consolidated guide/wiki on modding infos.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Fish is correct.

To be more specific, the maps are render passes that Mental Ray (our renderer) spits out.  They require using the mia_material_x_passes shader.  Anything else won't give the proper render passes.  You need to have Albedo, Specular, WorldPos, and ViewNormal passes enabled.  Our tool does the work of getting these passes into Unity.

I see... so no plugin for Maya directly? In that case, I'll go ahead and download a students license of Maya to check out if I can create those render passes.

At least that's a first step into creating maps for PoE. Converting them into unity-readable files would be the second.

• Like 1