[Issue] Right click move doesn't position formation correctly

Sensuki

Question

In this video I showcase the difference between left click move and right click move, notice how the right-click move formation never changes (and it also doesn't have an inbuilt cancel)

Notice that they are both identical in Baldur's Gate 2 (and all the other IE games)

3 answers to this question

I think this seems like a pretty neat feature, giving us the option to not have the party formation auto rotate towards the direction of travel.

I also don't think it angles the party "towards the corners", it seems like it angles the party formation relative to the travel direction from your starting position, aligning the formation to a vector drawn between the two.

"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

You can rotate the formation though. Why would you want a default always pointing a certain way formation that doesn't have an inbuilt cancel ?

Using RMB formation was very useful in the IE games, because it meant that you couldn't also accidentally select something, as there was no select tied to the right mouse button. Also if you are trying to position your party next to the edge of the navmesh, left clicking (due to being tied to select) doesn't interact properly with areas with no navmesh. Right clicking the position you wanted to move closest to placed the party in the closest positions around that area.

Edited by Sensuki

In v364 this has been changed so that last known formation rotate is remembered and used for right click move. I still prefer the BG version because right click move is meant for easy correction of the automatic formation, not as a 'custom formation location'. 

The current version v364 is better than previous, but still not optimal IMO.