Does character creation have the right amount of depth?

Couldn't think of a more specific topic title that expresses my feelings, sorry.

The thing that I liked about Baldurs Gate is that it didn't have so much stuff in character creation. Fighters could do hardly anything apart from attacking, rogues weren't much more complx than fighters with their skills of stealth and trapping, and it seemed like it was mostly the spell casters who had a good 90% of the character building depth with their magic spells, specializations making the plain old grunts and rogues of the party seem very shallow in comparsion. The fighter and rogues roles in combat were determined within the first few levels of character building, and compared to mages there was very little they could do to respecialize the things that they did.

I actually liked how very simple that BG was, because it made sure that a players party members would evolve along a very easy to predict paths, which I believe is one of the biggest reasons for why the difficulty of combat remained fairly consistent all the way through the series.

Compare this to the much more convoluted systems seen in Neverwinter Nights... the developers had an extremely difficult time predicting just how strong the players group could become throughout the NWN2 campaign and it's expansions. This basically forced obsidian to err on the side of caution, they couldn't make a whole lot of assumptions on what sort of group the player would have in SoZ, and so a player who built an extremely powerful party could pretty much just walk through the whole game while barely lifting a finger and letting their own party A.I scripts resolve things with minimal player input.

Which one is this game more like, BG or SoZ?

A lot closer to BG. CC is quite straightforward. The part that requires most thought is spell selection for wizards, ciphers, and chanters. Abilities require some thought as well about the kind of role you want to play for those classes that have the flexibility (front-line or back-row). But all in all you can get through it in probably less than a minute and end up with something that'll do fine.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com