Crash during character creation

Logos

Question

During character creation (specifically, about 5 seconds after I switched my character model from elf to dwarf), a circle-shaped spray of coloured dots appeared and froze around the character model, the game stopped working, and I could no longer input any command (including ctrl+alt+del). No BSOD, just a complete freeze until I hard-reset my machine.

As a result, there was no crash dump, nor a notification of a crash dump.

Upon restarting my computer, windows would no longer boot, and instead would return a BSOD that referenced the display driver being corrupted and a problem with nvlddmkm.sys. Installing the latest drivers for my video card in safe mode didn't solve the issue, and I had to roll my system back to a checkpoint before the installation of PoE.

When I then reinstalled PoE, the same thing happened again, before I even got to character creation. I have not reinstalled PoE a third time, and for the past half hour everything seems to be fine.

Operating system: Windows Vista service pack 2

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

RAM: 2 GB

Video card: Geforce 8800 GTX

"Of all the kids in The Breakfast Club, Ally Sheedy would be the first one to sense Cthulhu's coming." -Patton Oswalt 

2 answers to this question

Hello Logos,

Thank you for your posting. We are still polishing and optimizing character creation and level up interfaces. This can cause it to be rather demanding at times, spiking in both memory and cpu usage and unfortunately resulting in crashes on certain pcs. :( We are working hard to make sure that the issue is resolved in future builds.

If you are able to attach the output log to this post with your crash information it would be greatly appreciated!

You should be able to find this at : \Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt

Thank you for your support and feedback during the backer beta!  :blush: