Game crashes after "new game" selection

calienon

Question

Hi,

As the title hints, I am clicking "new game" and selecting a difficulty then "accept".  The "obsidian presents: Pillars of Eternity" screen rolls, then goes dark (I'm assuming to go into the char creation screen), and some nature noises start...about a half-second after the first "chirp", the crash dialogue box pops up (though noises continue...screen stays black forever though and nothing continues...clicking "ok" on the crash box ends the game

I tried to upload all the files included in the crash folder, but only the "output_log.txt" file is permitted apparently and here it is: output_log.txt

I am using Windows Vista SP2 with all updates on an AMD FX 8150 cpu (8 cores @ 3.6GHz) with 8 gigs system ram and displayed using an AMD Radeon HD 6900 with 2 gigs vid memory. Sound card is Creative X-Fi.  Here is my dxdiag report:

DxDiag.txt

the last line in the output log before the crash section says "Can not play a disabled audio source"...though before that, there are many lines reading "Failed to load..." and various files.

Used an alternate sound source since my sound card has given me issues with games in the past...no luck :(

I would love to be able to actually play a bit, any ideas would be welcome! :D

5 answers to this question

Has anyone found a way to get this working yet?  And @death.is.your.reward...are you on vista also?   I have another computer with win7 and it loads just fine (though it doesn't fit content properly on my older vga-connected 42" 1280P tv...refuses to allow me to select 1024x768 which is needed lol)

I added a list of potential causes (in my mind) and what I've done to eliminate them.  If anyone can chime in about things you've considered and tried I'd appreciate it! :D 

Here's the list down here too:

Creative Sound card (drivers) causing compatibility issues (has happened before, most recently with the game pathofexile where my particular creative cards supporting driver would cause that game to BSOD when changing areas)/////// I disabled output through that card via the windows playback devices menu (not hardware manager since that would require a restart), and also killed any processes running for creative/xfi etc...could not kill one process for my test (CTxfispi.exe)//////could still be this, anyone else have our same issue WITHOUT creative card?

Avast antivirus////disabled (though can't kill the processes)////anyone have the same issue that has absolutely no antivirus running?

Nostromo keypad software//// I killed the process.

Miscellaneous processes running that weren't needed////I killed everything that I could that was non-essential....did it before I considered making this list, so don't remember what all that was. 

If anyone tries other things that don't work, please reply here so I can add it to the list and then everyone won't try the same non-working fixes :)