The combat animation right now isn't bad by any means, but there is no heft or character to the weapon swings. Actions are too short without any follow through, and it's exacerbated by the ETERNITY between weapon swings. These combat "rounds" need to be sped up and more variation in weapon swings is required.

There's no "eternity" between weapon swings and combat certainly doesn't need to be sped up. 

Variations in weapon swings is what we're requesting here, yes.

Why don't you think it should be sped up? Every IE game I've played has had much shorter durations between attacks.

Edited by Justinian

The combat animation right now isn't bad by any means, but there is no heft or character to the weapon swings. Actions are too short without any follow through, and it's exacerbated by the ETERNITY between weapon swings. These combat "rounds" need to be sped up and more variation in weapon swings is required.

There's no "eternity" between weapon swings and combat certainly doesn't need to be sped up. 

Variations in weapon swings is what we're requesting here, yes.

Why don't you think it should be sped up? Every IE game I've played has had much shorter durations between attacks.

The recovery time between attacks in IE games is 6 seconds. To attack more often you need to either reach level 7* or specialize in a weapon (only few classes can). And of course, two weapon fighting gives you an additional attack per round.

*Only 4 classes get an extra 0.5 attack/round at 7, other classes are at 1 attack forever. The monk is an exception.

• Like 1

The recovery time between attacks in IE games is 6 seconds. To attack more often you need to either reach level 7* or specialize in a weapon (only few classes can). And of course, two weapon fighting gives you an additional attack per round.

The IE games had extra animations that didn't correspond to actual attacks to make it look like the characters weren't just standing around. I always thought that was a bad idea but maybe it wasn't. It looks a bit weird to swing a weapon and then stand around for several seconds until it's time to swing it again (compared to the IE games where it looked like the characters were missing more often than they actually were).

As someone said, main problem with animations is no proper hit animations or animations for spell effects on targets. Those are most noticeable. How someone uses a weapon or if he swings well enough will not be noticed by most people as you spend most time looking at enemy anyways to be able to react to their actions or their life going down.

The IE games had extra animations that didn't correspond to actual attacks to make it look like the characters weren't just standing around. I always thought that was a bad idea but maybe it wasn't. It looks a bit weird to swing a weapon and then stand around for several seconds until it's time to swing it again (compared to the IE games where it looked like the characters were missing more often than they actually were).

Indeed, there are filler fake attacks in some IE games. I don't like it.

As someone said, main problem with animations is no proper hit animations or animations for spell effects on targets. Those are most noticeable. How someone uses a weapon or if he swings well enough will not be noticed by most people as you spend most time looking at enemy anyways to be able to react to their actions or their life going down.

Proper hit reaction animations happen when a character fails at Concentration, which is derived from Resolve. For other hit reactions (grazes excluded) they could use a combination of blood splatter effects, a slight shake animation and hitting sounds.

• Like 1