Petition for comprehensive modding tools

Modding tools  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe comprehensive modding tools are essential in ensuring long-time survival of a game and its fan community?

• Yes
    • No.
    • Other (please explain)
  2. 2. Do you believe Obsidian is doing enough, based on what we know, to ensure good tools for the modding community?

• Absolutely not.
    • No, it's doing some, but not nearly enough
    • Yes, it's enough to get me started/make it easier.
    • Yes, how much tools do you need anyway?
    • Yes, I'm a pro and I'll use/create my own tools.
    • I don't care.
    • Other (please specify)

Considering I'm a backer, I wouldn't want Obsidian to spend time on making mod tools, spending time on QA, spending time on adding instructions of the mod tools to the manual and anything else that involves in time and money, if it's going to take time away from the games release. Mainly because I don't use mod tools, I don't create mods and very rarely use mods. So it really doesn't affect this backer. So it's not a question of rights for me. And as Gizmo said, It wasn't part of a stretch goal. If Obsidian decides to release mod tools down the track, I'm also fine with that.

..... I clearly said in my post "give us mod tools they made for themselves to help make the game". I also clearly said I wasn't asking for them to make tools they didn't already make for their own benefit or create resources for modders specifically. What I am asking for costs them not 1 cent, and the only time they need to invest is uploading the tool then making a link to it on a webpage.

Meanwhile Obsidian's lack of a promise doesn't mean crap. If you want to win people over you have to do more than say "well I didn't promise that so...". Either they made some tools for their own use or they didn't. If they did put them out there for modders. If they didn't well gee golly willakers all they have to do is say that and it is a non issue isn't it?

Meanwhile I sure hope you expect this game to be more than just what was "promised". For example they didn't "promise" it would be bug free or even playable. Only that it would be a game containing XYZ elements.

So I have a unity license yes please obsidian release the tech you and your team made so I can "mod" project eternity. That's what Im gonna do with it I swear only Poe not my own projects.

Have you given any thought to releasing or open sourcing development tools for modding the game, if not at release, then eventually?

We have talked about it a lot internally. We are still figuring out what we will be able to make moddable for the community. I wouldn't expect full development tools any time in the near future, though. It would take a huge amount of time and effort to do it well.

Since we are developing with Unity (third party engine) our hands are tied a bit when it comes to open sourcing the engine. However, our policy is that we want to be as open as possible with the mod community. Our current plan is to release our file formats (that we own) and any possible tools that we can to help modders out. Since we are still in development, I can't say for certain what we will release, and what exactly you can mod or what you can't mod. We love modders and want to do everything that we can to facilitate the community.

source: reddit AMA

• Like 2