Pillars of Eternity has lots of abilities, but will we truly need to use them?

As far as abilities, D&D system obviously has more ways to go than DA:O, but I really liked how all the DA classes had several valid ways to build them up. Not enough for endless fun, but more than enough to keep a normal player happy for several playthroughs.

Alright, the comment's two weeks old, and sorry for dumping yet again on DA, but this point's a huge pet peeve of mine.

Having several ways to build classes up is a great thing, but DA:O did it badly.  I beat the game on the hardest difficulty setting, w/ a house rule against any potion use (health and lyrium), paying virtually no thought to my ability and spell picks apart from some healing spells.  It's not that the game was too easy, it's that it was too simple (though parts were too easy too).  Somehow "tactics" has come to mean "never having to think much ahead," and that's terrible.  If the devs are going to ensure each class has several valid ways to build up, they should pay careful attention to making sure that abilities aren't all valid in just any arbitrary combination - each ability should be useful, but at least past the lower/lower difficulty setting(s), ability pick combos should matter & require some planning.  That's a big part of the fun!

And then to add some more fuel to my pyre, having regenerating mana pool made playing a wizard/cleric/whatever fun for me, the way it was never fun in IE games. Sure, having a wizard in party was always necessary and useful, but in a resource kind of way, not in a hero way.

This is why heresy is eeevil!!1!1

Edited by ZornWO
  • Like 1

Somehow "tactics" has come to mean "never having to think much ahead," and that's terrible.  If the devs are going to ensure each class has several valid ways to build up, they should pay careful attention to making sure that abilities aren't all valid in just any arbitrary combination - each ability should be useful, but at least past the lower/lower difficulty setting(s), ability pick combos should matter & require some planning.  That's a big part of the fun!

Agreed. It's as if the focus in a lot of games recently has shifted from building your characters so that they're useful in the active application/usage of tactics, to how to build your characters in such a way so as to just passively take care of business.

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u