Blood, injuries and band-aids

I wonder, would it be feasible or tasteful to incorporate the following in Pillars of Eternity:

1. A check to see what kind of injury penalty and associated graphic (if applicable) to insert onto character - For those familiar, I'm thinking warhammer fantasy roleplay 'messy death' crit/injury system - simplified/modified. 

2. Paired combat sequences - animating things like: dodging, parrying, glancing blows, direct hits, lethal hits, a kick in the groin.

3. Ranged target hit animations - dynamic and more interesting. Usually this is pretty generic in most games.... I'm thinking borderline Ace Ventura 2 - seeing a reaction akin to Jim Carry getting pegged in each leg with javelins. Would be much more amusing than 'shrug' 'ouch' 'uhg' 'meh...'

4. Post combat field dressing graphics.

Also, This is a bit unrealated but, another thing I would like to see is coup de grace implemented differently than other systems. There is nothing more frustrating than: rolling to hit someone sleeping (or they're simply twittling their thumbs), then rolling a little under their modified AC to miss......... or hit and do a lot of 'abstract damage' - yet still, 'superhumanly' and headless, have the vitality to fight (even though I put a 20 lb great axe through their neck). 

Edited by Kveldulf
  • Like 2

Guesses --

1 is probably doable, if you're thinking of a graphic overlay to the character portrait. If you're thinking of different portraits for different levels of injury à la DOOM, that's just more work but certainly technically doable. If you're thinking of local injuries associated with status effects, that's of course doable too but I kinda doubt we'll see it.

2 is probably not going to be in, as it would make the animation budget go through the roof, and we're talking a small-budget game here.

3 see 2

4 how would you even see these on those little miniature figures?

5 agree; ToEE did coup de grace well, I hope it's done in a similar way here, accounting of course for it not being turn-based (more's the pity). 

(If you haven't played ToEE, you could execute a coup de grace on a helpless enemy; it was a full-round action, and provoked attacks of opportunity.)

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Guesses --

1 is probably doable, if you're thinking of a graphic overlay to the character portrait. If you're thinking of different portraits for different levels of injury à la DOOM, that's just more work but certainly technically doable. If you're thinking of local injuries associated with status effects, that's of course doable too but I kinda doubt we'll see it.

2 is probably not going to be in, as it would make the animation budget go through the roof, and we're talking a small-budget game here.

3 see 2

4 how would you even see these on those little miniature figures?

5 agree; ToEE did coup de grace well, I hope it's done in a similar way here, accounting of course for it not being turn-based (more's the pity). 

(If you haven't played ToEE, you could execute a coup de grace on a helpless enemy; it was a full-round action, and provoked attacks of opportunity.)

4. Meh, you're right.

And yea i played ToEE. Been awhile though. I remember it being way too short :( It was one of the few games that I remember had flowing hair out of a helmet... nice touch.